starting strength gym

Thread: Four-day program

Default Four-day program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Does Coach Andy Baker have an intermediate program that has a four day mini-cycle of Squats, Press, Deads and Bench and alternates a volume cycle with an intensity cycle?

The way I understand it is the mini-cycle is spread out over more than one week. I ran into an older fellow at the gym who was using such a program. He said he got it from Coach Baker and it intrigued me.

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    Does Coach Andy Baker have an intermediate program that has a four day mini-cycle of Squats, Press, Deads and Bench and alternates a volume cycle with an intensity cycle?

The way I understand it is the mini-cycle is spread out over more than one week. I ran into an older fellow at the gym who was using such a program. He said he got it from Coach Baker and it intrigued me.
    I haven’t seen quite that, but the Kingwood Texas Method (in PP book) comes close. I did it as 2 days a week (2 lifts each - bench+squat, press+dead), with a volume week, then an intensity week, so the above could be the same weeks, with the 2 days split into 4.

I purchased Andy's Strength and Mass after 40 program a couple years ago before the Barbell Prescription (BBrx) was out. Its a 4 day split, 2 lower body, 2 upper body and its a 3 week cycle of 5s, 3s, and 1s. I liked it, though the assistance/accessory load eventually seemed to much for me and I pared that down (I'm 68). While there isn't this exact program in BBrx, most of the elements are there in the intermediate chapters and you could easily make up your own similar from that. I have been doing a 2 day workout summers, and have done either a 3 or 4 day split in winters. I used his program in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I purchased Andy's Strength and Mass after 40 program a couple years ago before the Barbell Prescription (BBrx) was out. Its a 4 day split, 2 lower body, 2 upper body and its a 3 week cycle of 5s, 3s, and 1s. I liked it, though the assistance/accessory load eventually seemed to much for me and I pared that down (I'm 68). While there isn't this exact program in BBrx, most of the elements are there in the intermediate chapters and you could easily make up your own similar from that. I have been doing a 2 day workout summers, and have done either a 3 or 4 day split in winters. I used his program in winter.
    Thanks Paladin for the info.

Thanks Paladin for the info.
    I went and looked in BBrx again. Andy's program is quite similar, though not identical, to the "heavy light split" in Chapter 24. See example 24-20. But there are also assistance/accessory exercises primarily for the upper body. I don't want to give it all away since he still sells the program.

starting strength coach development program
    BBRx has a lot of 4-day programs. More to the point, it discusses the principles that should allow you to develop one of you own.