starting strength gym

Thread: The Barbell Prescription

Default The Barbell Prescription

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just re-reading Sully's master work (with Andy Baker); The Barbell Prescription.
    The first few chapters on physiology and disease in the old codger population, which includes myself, is an exceptional overview of the field. I'm also a physician with some interest and experience in normal and exercise physiology and cardiovascular disease.
    Inspired by Sully, and of course Mark Rippetoe, I've chosen to become a Masters Athlete of Aging, get myself under the barbell and work at gaining strength, power and mobility on a regular basis. In six months my squat has more than doubled, from a feeble 45kg to an acceptable 97kgs and rising, my deadlift has also doubled to over 130kg and I'm making slower but measurable progress on the presses, cleans and pull-ups.
    I'm preaching to the choir here but if anyone reading this section of the forums hasn't got Sully's book I'd advise you to beg, borrow or steal a copy, study it carefully and use it as the foundation for your training plans. I add HIIT sessions (CrossFit) and a bit of social cycling to a couple of SS workouts each week, because I enjoy the social aspect of working out and cycling with my buddies but any other combination of HIIT and SLD sessions would also work.
    Chapeau to Sully

Fantastic book. Whenever I am feeling unmotivated, or I have gone off the reservation with regard to diet & training, I go back to it to get my head back on right again.

I’ll second that.

A truly great book for many reasons. Among them:

Extremely well written ... and edited.
    Incredibly important subject.
    Very thorough research.
    Compelling arguments.
    Detailed instructions for programming.
    And last but not least, some great humor.

I already bought two copies for myself and convinced a couple of friends to buy it.

I am 3 months into NLP and I feel better and stronger than I have in a long time.

Thanks guys. Andy and I are glad to know the book does its job.

If you're of a mind, you might share your thoughts on Amazon. It helps. We're trying to reach people through a lot of noise--people looking for fitness after fifty have a LOT of choices. We'd like our approach to be on their radar.

It's been gratifying to hear from doctors all over the world, by emails that come monthly or even weekly, that they have changed their thinking about exercise, based all or in part by our book. That's a big part of what we wanted to do.

Also...I believe The Aasgaard Company may have a surprise coming soon for people who enjoy BBRx. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Thanks guys. Andy and I are glad to know the book does its job.

If you're of a mind, you might share your thoughts on Amazon. It helps. We're trying to reach people through a lot of noise--people looking for fitness after fifty have a LOT of choices. We'd like our approach to be on their radar.

It's been gratifying to hear from doctors all over the world, by emails that come monthly or even weekly, that they have changed their thinking about exercise, based all or in part by our book. That's a big part of what we wanted to do.

Also...I believe The Aasgaard Company may have a surprise coming soon for people who enjoy BBRx. Stand by.
    Sully your booked is reaching beyond your intended audience.

I was training my bench with some youngins at work. After doing a single @320, and then 255@ 5 x 5 the look of disbelief was priceless. (I’m almost 48.. these guys are mid to late 20’s, lean and ripped).

One of them flat out asked “dude what are you taking?” My reply was “I’m on the barbell prescription “

I’m pretty sure I generated a sale of BBRx, and SS.

I concur with all the above praise, and add that the book is worth the price just for the information on intermediate programs alone. My last stab at intermediate resulted in practically no progress, now I'm moving forward on an HLM based on my reading of TBP. Moving forward means a fistful of lbs/month, but over time it adds up. Thanks, Doc.

Also... I'd love to start and audio book rumor... and get on the pre-order list... sounds like a great stocking stuffer too!
    It is hard to get some people to read books. And audio book with content this entertaining and relevant.... Hmmm.
    OK, standing by.... shifting foot to foot.

The book is worth it's weight in the precious metal of your choice. Awesome stuff. I refer to it often.

starting strength coach development program
    Easter Egg alert
    Barbell Logic
    #139 – Masters of Their Fate: Sully and the Lifters of Greysteel (42:58)