starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Volume sensitivity: 2 sets good. 3 sets bad. Your experience?

Randy, lots of good information in this thread. Thanks for asking the questions, and more importantly, following up. I weighed 180lb at 6'2" and ran marathons when I started, now I am 215 and lift substantially more. I know the struggles of a LSD body type. Couple of random thoughts I have not seen addressed that helped me throughout the program:

1) See a coach or post technique on the forum. You stated form was breaking down later in your work sets, maybe that is causing your soreness? Like you, I read the book and followed the program. I posted my lifts on the forum, received great "free" advice. But like anything in life, free is free, and I truly learned once I saw a coach. As a tall guy, not very strong, I struggled with lumbar flexion while seeking depth.

2) Buy good shoes and belt. You may have already, I learned the hard way.

3) Buy 1.25lb weights and take them to the gym with you. Sometimes, 5lbs just seems like a little too much.

4) My work keeps me on the road about 4-months a year, many of those in 3-7 day trips. Very early, I picked up the "have belt will travel" philosophy. Consistency is key for us over 40 guys and gals. If you're tired, get under a bar and work on technique.

Thanks again, hopefully these are somewhat helpful. Outside the programming realm of your questions, but items I found very important as I progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by troxm25 View Post
    Randy, lots of good information in this thread. Thanks for asking the questions, and more importantly, following up. I weighed 180lb at 6'2" and ran marathons when I started, now I am 215 and lift substantially more. I know the struggles of a LSD body type. Couple of random thoughts I have not seen addressed that helped me throughout the program:

1) See a coach or post technique on the forum. You stated form was breaking down later in your work sets, maybe that is causing your soreness? Like you, I read the book and followed the program. I posted my lifts on the forum, received great "free" advice. But like anything in life, free is free, and I truly learned once I saw a coach. As a tall guy, not very strong, I struggled with lumbar flexion while seeking depth.

2) Buy good shoes and belt. You may have already, I learned the hard way.

3) Buy 1.25lb weights and take them to the gym with you. Sometimes, 5lbs just seems like a little too much.

4) My work keeps me on the road about 4-months a year, many of those in 3-7 day trips. Very early, I picked up the "have belt will travel" philosophy. Consistency is key for us over 40 guys and gals. If you're tired, get under a bar and work on technique.

Thanks again, hopefully these are somewhat helpful. Outside the programming realm of your questions, but items I found very important as I progressed.
    Thank you for the nice words, but the credit goes to all those who have more experience and answered my relative newbie question.

As to your points:

1) I have hired coaches in the past. Some good, some terrible—I think Rip calls them pin-pushers. One of them tried to convince me to drop barbell training and start doing things like bear walks (!) and a bunch of other silly exercises which may have merit but I have no interest in. Another wanted me to go low-weight high reps (3 sets of 15 squats with 90sec rest, I am not kidding.) I've looked at the SS website in the past for an SSC in my area (Silicon Valley/San Jose CA) but there are none who are close enough to be practical. I did consider SSOC but I when it comes to physical movement/kinesthetics I NEED someone there to push, poke, and prod me real-time (like Rip does in many of his videos) until I have the movement correct. If you are an SSC coach (or even an SSC apprentics or advanced practitioner in the Silicon Valley area feel free to contact me. (Based on the website map, the closest coach is in Sacramento ... about 2hrs away—with no traffic.

2) I did buy both a belt (3") and specialized shoes.

3) I have also bought fractional plates: .25 .5 and 1lbs and use them. I should also note that I have invested in a quality rack and bumper plates so I have the luxury of being able to work out in my garage. (And the bonus that my son has, finally, gotten the bug and is also training.)

4) I like your have-belt-will-travel philosophy. Fortunately, I don't have to travel much for work, but there are weeks when fitting in a workout is hard. But I make it a priority and manage at least a couple of workouts a week.

Thanks again for the note and happy lifting.

Randy

PS I am not sure if it's kosher to ask for coaches or training partners on this forum. If so, please let me know and I'll edit my reply.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234