starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many 60-year olds out there are stronger than their 25-year old sons?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Thanks all,

Looking at the responses, I'll probably need to do more than just NLP - all the folks who are stronger than those 30 years younger seem to be on at least early-mid intermediate programming. That's basically what I needed to know.

-->Adam
    Wait...don't skip NLP if you've never done it, just to jump to intermediate.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Wait...don't skip NLP if you've never done it, just to jump to intermediate.
    Not what I meant... I meant intermediate training would probably be needed after NLP to accomplish my goal (I.E. more than NLP).

-->Adam

53 for me not over 60, oldest son is 22. He is a big Rippetoe proponent and has my SS book. My squats (325 for 5) and deadlift (365 for 5) are more, but he went way past me in bench. He weights 180 benching 225 3 sets of 5. Mine is a weak 195 for 3 sets of 5. Two years ago his weight ballooned up to 240 pounds and made this progress while cutting 60 pounds over the last 2 years. Oh to be young again! He plays soccer and softball on the side during all this time. I'm stronger in tricep press, curls, rows by quite a bit, but not for sure how much longer that will be. My goal when he started was for him to be stronger, faster and leaner in every aspect. I'm proud of him and it won't be long.

No children, but I'm definitely stronger than my younger self.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    No children, but I'm definitely stronger than my younger self.
    That was actually helpful - I didn't think about looking at the problem that way, and it works....

I have to gauge myself against myself 30 years ago, and I'll probably be about right. Brilliant!

Of course, I have no idea how much I could lift 30 years ago, but it almost certainly was less than bodyweight on anything other than deadlift.

-->Adam

starting strength coach development program
    My 35 year old son in law loses the Dead lift and Squat to me while I get owned on the Bench press. I score that as a victory. LOL.
    We lifted together for a while which I also count as a victory.

My 20 year old self crushes both of us on everything. LOL.

My 20 year old self showed up a a power-lifting meet I was casually talked into.

My first squat was during warm-up. I did 300. (didn't these shear your back or something?)
    Nearly my first dead was in warm-up, I did 300. (weren't these bad for you back then?)
    I benched 250 despite fouling by moving my feet... probably could have gotten 275.
    Someone make a time machine and give 18 year old me the blue book... Thanks, current me will pay handsomely for this service.

Least favorite memory... failing sideways on a 330 squat. I had Good spotters! Right knee just gave out.

The only number above in any danger is the Dead lift.
    Although, given my lack of leg length, the Squat should be in danger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12