starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many 60-year olds out there are stronger than their 25-year old sons?

Default How many 60-year olds out there are stronger than their 25-year old sons?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If you are, please chime in (Men with sons only please), and let me know what stage of programming you are in (Novice, Early Intermediate, etc...), how many years you've been training, and anything else you feel like sharing.

This is actually an important question for me, not just a curiosity, but unfortunately, I can't disclose why on a public forum. The number of years is actually important there - I'm looking for a roughly 30-40 year age discrepancy.

-->Adam

I have two sons. I don't think the oldest (age 35) could keep up with me in the weight room but he is blessed with great genetics (from his Mom) and has what I might call everyday strength. Of course he probably weighs twenty or thirty pounds more than I do too. My youngest (33 in a couple weeks) son has no chance against me. For this one I think I weigh twenty pounds more. I coached him to squat a little and that was the last time he was under a bar. I have been training SS style for 17 months. I am not sure where I would fall but for sure not a Novice or Early Intermediate. I am 68 years old until March. 70 is looming!

Sorry. I'm almost 56 and my 26 year old is an active duty Marine. Despite an ectomorphic body type, he has worked hard with SS training to surpass my modest strength, despite the challenges of weird PT, running, working hours, etc.

I'm 55 and my oldest son is 19. I'm stronger in the bench, we're pretty close in the squat, and he's got me in the deadlift. I've been playing with weights on and off (mostly off) since my teens, although I never knew what I was doing until the last 7 years or so and was doing more bodybuilding stuff vs getting strong over the years.

I'm intermediate for sure right now. I'm back into training after a bit of a layoff and bro work. Check my log for more info if interested.

I’m stronger than my 38 yr old son but he hasn’t been training long. I’m way stronger than my younger son but he doesn’t train at all. I’ve trained with my 18 yr old grandson who has the benefit (?) of a football weight training program and I am substantially stronger than him. I’m 63.

I was stronger than my son until I was about 48 and he turned 21. He had been lifting for about 4 years by then and was in a growing mode,

Im 52. 6’2 229 lbs. my oldest stepson is 22. He was strong as hell and fast in high school but he ballooned up in colege then lost over a hundred lbs his senior year. He looks gaunt now. Works out a lot but mostly cardio and is afraid of food. It wouldnt take much for him to get stronger than me. He has great genetics. I have a 19 year okd son and 19 year old step son. My son is 5’9” and weighs 138 lbs. he leaves for Air Force next week. He is Fit but not particularly strong. My 19 year old stepson is 6’3” and 180ish. He plays rugby. Hes playing rugby and putting on weght. He has a long was to go befor he is stronger than me.

I'm 50, 5' 7" ~ 200 lbs, training for ~ 5 years. Intermediate. 3x5 Squat is in the 315-355 range. Bench 1RM ~ 240 lbs.

Son is 17, 5' 6" ~ 160 lbs, in the NLP. Squat is going strong at 275lbsx5x3 beltless. If he keeps it up, sleeps/eats, his squat might blow by mine in the next 6 mos. Makes it look easy. His bench is perhaps 150 lbs x 5 x 3, and is progressing. The kid is a very quick runner too; strange gait with a noticeably rigid upper torso.

I'm 57 and a year ago, I was squatting 30 lbs more than my now 15 year old son. I had a couple stupid setbacks and now he's 100lbs ahead of me ($#!+). I was and still beat him on the press and bench but he's got me on the dead.
    We still wrestle and fight like little kids. This is the stuff great memories and broken furniture are made of.
    A lot of this wonderful madness wouldn't have happened without starting strength (thanks go out to coach Karl Schudt and of course Rip for making it all possible).

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all,

Looking at the responses, I'll probably need to do more than just NLP - all the folks who are stronger than those 30 years younger seem to be on at least early-mid intermediate programming. That's basically what I needed to know.

-->Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast