starting strength gym

Thread: Quit light squat and/or light Deadlift day?

Default Quit light squat and/or light Deadlift day?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, all -

I'm 51, 5'9", 185 lbs. I started a SSNLP 4.5 months ago (I was set back by ~3-4 weeks by a pinched nerve at c7), and am now on an advanced novice program. I do two heavy squat days per week + one light, and one heavy deadlift day per week + one light.

My BP and OHP have become respectable (barely) at 210 and 135 for 5x3 each (reps x sets). But my DL and Squat are very poor, at 275 for 5x1 and 225 for 5x3.

Part of my challenge with DLs and Squats is simply bad anthropometry (long legs + short arms; kind of like a diminutive Allosaurus). As for form, I'm going to check in with Cody Annino, a SSC coach about 80 minutes away from me here in CT.

But my question here is, what's the best way to tell if my light squat day and light DL day each week may be doing more harm than good? I'm avoiding detraining, but am I over training those lifts?

Thank you,
    Al

Al,

This answers some of my questions. While I do it all the time, try not to compare you "numbers" to others. Are the weights still going up?

I found this article helpful.

Two Lifts a Day for the Post-Novice Master | Scott Acosta

Before going light, I suspect that two sessions a week is a better idea. Volume is the enemy as you get older. Hold on to the heavy lifts. Dr. Sullivan's book does this concept more justice.

I'm a 55y/old intermediate lifter (meaning that I am currently making gains on a weekly basis), and I train 3 times/week. I squat heavy on Mondays alternating 5's and 3's every week, and squat lighter on Fridays alternating 8's and 5's every week. I deadlift only on Wednesdays.

I find this prevents detraining, but also gives me a bit of a volume break. The deadlifts on Wednesday also contribute to some leg work as well, especially my secondary (hex bar) deadlift.

Volume and intensity drive progress. The title says "Two Lifts a Day" not two session a week. Let's not generalize about us old guys anymore. Volume is tough mentally - at least for me. Great that you are seeing an SSC. He may lead you in the right direction.

This is Volume week two for me. Lifts are 5x4 except DL is 5x3. Who knows what I am in store for next week - 5X5's I suppose. There is accessory work so not every session is main lifts volume. I whine all the time about how abusive my coach is to this Master lifter. He tells me that is for lifters older than me! But he has been dead on programing for me.

I start this on Monday- SQ and DL
    Tues bench and chins or TRX rows
    Thurs pause SQ and press
    Sat DL 5X3, close grip bench, and tempo SQ

I keep waiting to get past Volume and Intensity blocks so I can get more than the 17 second Realization block I had once!

Do what works for you and just keep adding weight to the bar. You have a great start AL.

Paul
    N=1

Thanks, guys, for the thoughts. I'll try removing the light DL, see how that impacts my progress on the lower body lifts, and if necessary, a couple of weeks later, I can remove the light squat.

starting strength coach development program
    For what it's worth, I'm 63 and my current programming includes an intensity day (2 x 3) and a volume day 3 x 5 for the squat and an intensity day (1 x 5 but soon to be 2 x 3) and a volume day (3 x 5) for the deadlift.