starting strength gym

Thread: Tried Santana's early AM Dextrose workout-do these number mean I've beaten diabetes?

Default Tried Santana's early AM Dextrose workout-do these number mean I've beaten diabetes?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OK, Had a 5:30AM workout this morning, and decided to try out Coach Santana's early AM workout strategy of using Whey Protein Isolate and Dextrose (in my case, sweet tarts and smarties).

However, I do have or did have Type 2 diabetes (not sure if it's gone), and figured that seemed like a LOT of sugar, so I used my glucometer.

Here's what happened:
    - Morning/fasted blood sugar: 94, which is pretty normal for me lately. I'm usually between 95-105 in the morning.
    - Did workout, and consumed coffee, creatine, 25g whey protein isolate, and 50g of dextrose in the form of sweet tarts during the workout. Felt totally sugar-buzzed.
    - After workout blood sugar was 140, which seemed a little high, but not terrible. My doctor told me not to worry unless it was over 200.
    - Consumed post-workout meal (48g carb, 39g protien) of Kroger Carbmaster Yogurt, a 100 calorie almond pack, 6 oz of frozen blueberries, more whey/coffee, and 18g of dextrose in the form of Smarties.
    - About 1 1/2-2 hours after post-workout meal, blood sugar was 60. I've never seen it that low.

I'm thinking that from these numbers, the dextrose AM workout strategy seems pretty safe for me. Does that seem right? Is there an alternative early-morning workout strategy for diabetics?

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 01-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.

I'm a prediabetic and that would not work for me! Did you test the the 60 result twice? Sometimes not often I get a bad reading.

It could have been a bad reading. I was just surprised - if accurate, my body got rid of a lot of sugar fast. That might not be good, but I'm not sure that would be possible if I was still diabetic. I've never seen below 80 except that one time.