starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on working out twice per week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    I'm 55 and don't recover on a M,W,F. I do recover on 1 day on/2 days off OR just 2x week. Very stressful commute and job, inadequate sleep most nights, plenty of calories/protein. I'm still making gains and 2x week was the recommendation from an SS coach when I started for first NLP run back in 2014.

I'm 57 now, been going at this since 2014 and it took me a while to realize that one day off between workouts was not the best for me. Once I realized that and went to two days off between, I have made good progress (mid 300 squats, mid 400 deads). I particularly like the HLM programs outlined in BBRx. With the light day built in, recovery is not as much of an issue.

All athletes at Greysteel are on a two-day program by default, and they all make progress. Before I see stupid shit by haters on Instagram ("Stupid Sully sez everybody should be on a two-day program LOL") I hasten to point out that this is not because I have a special love for 2-day programs. Rather, it is an artifact of the days when Greysteel was a side gig and I was still working in Emergency Medicine and 2 days was...what I had (actually, I didn't, but I made it work somehow). It's not a good approach for younger athletes, at all, but most Masters who aren't interested in red-line training or competition can make long, safe, continuous progress on 2 days. This of course does not discount the value of 3 o4 4 day programs. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    All athletes at Greysteel are on a two-day program by default, and they all make progress. Before I see stupid shit by haters on Instagram ("Stupid Sully sez everybody should be on a two-day program LOL") I hasten to point out that this is not because I have a special love for 2-day programs. Rather, it is an artifact of the days when Greysteel was a side gig and I was still working in Emergency Medicine and 2 days was...what I had (actually, I didn't, but I made it work somehow). It's not a good approach for younger athletes, at all, but most Masters who aren't interested in red-line training or competition can make long, safe, continuous progress on 2 days. This of course does not discount the value of 3 o4 4 day programs. YMMV.
    JS, I have your book in hand now and will read through the programs. With two days/week do you recommend sticking with deadlifts or rotating in power cleans (or with my shoulder issues, bb rows)?

starting strength coach development program
    The book answers in more detail. A lot depends on your ability/aptitude for cleans. Increasingly, I just use a light deadlift day for the mid-late novice phase and in the intermediate Masters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12