54 year old male - 5.10 - 205 lbs

Currently doing ABA/BAB Saturday - Tuesday - Thursday

Squat 240 (adding 5)
    Deadlift 245 (adding 5)
    Bench 165 (adding 2.5)
    Standing Press 100 (adding 2.5)
    Power Cleans 110 (adding 5)
    15 Back Extensions on non Deadlift Days

I've re-read the Programming Section in Barbell Prescription and listened to a few of the Linear Programming podcasts, but still have some questions.

Deadlift: I'm thinking I was a bit too conservative early in the program. Do I switch to a 10 lb / 5 lb / 10 lb loading or just keep adding the 5?
    (Greed is probably showing its head here. It seems if I squat 240 - my deadlifts should be more than 5 lb difference.)

Squat:
    Is is correct to rest after the warmup sets? I'm currently doing 6 minutes rest. The reason I ask is that the first set of 5 always seems to be the toughest of the three. Is that normal?

Power Cleans
    It seems the feeling is 50 plus folks should avoid them and switch over to the bent over rows? I'm not sure I'm doing them right and would rather drop them before hurting myself.

Chin-Ups
    From what I read, this is time to start adding Chins to the program. I'm not the best chin upper so I'm pretty sure I will need to build up to them using bodyweight rows.

I'm thinking Program 1C: Novice is where I should be:

A
    Squats 3 x 5
    Bench 3 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5 or Bent Over Rows 3 x5

B
    Squats 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 5
    Back Extensions
    Chins (eventually)

Overall, Im thinking I'm about to hit the grinding portion of the linear programming. I can feel the soreness in my calfs. Everything is hard - but doable. I'm getting the sleep and taking a hard look at my diet. (I think diet is the toughest part- after programming)

Thanks everybody

Let's start with "good work".

I'm impressed that you are recovering and increasing on 3 days a week. As long as that is true, no reason to go to 2x a week like I have (I'm 64).

In terms of Deadlift to Squat ratio, that is not a one ratio fits all deal. Short legs & long back could explain that easily enough. No matter the case... if you can add 5 pounds... ADD 5 POUNDS. Gravity is very wise in these matters.

I typically take half the rest time (sometimes less) on warmup sets. But if you're getting all the reps on all three sets, you've succeed. Declare victory and move on.

Obviously a coach is going to be a hell of a lot more qualified and a lot more specific. Good work!

++ on cheesepuff's comments. You're doing great and sounds like you have recovery gifts. Are you keeping log on this site? Would be helpful to see progress from where you started.

I don't have a log on the site - but you gave me a good reason to type up my log scribbles.

I missed a session for a Blues game. (I sometimes make accidental larger jumps due because addition is hard - laughs)

I'm making the switch to bent over rows because I'm not sure I was doing the power cleans correctly along with age concerns.

I'm planning to add chins - since that seems to be what Barbell Prescription suggests (these changes being the reason I started the post.

stlRick.jpg

Heres a readable version - hopefullystlRickII.jpg

I do pull downs instead of chins (being old, fat and weak for now). Since I work out in my garage, it only took a couple simple parts to set this up. I just hung a pulley off my rack's chin up bar, my brother welded a metal T for the bottom and a bar with an eyelet. Could have used 1" black iron (like for gas) instead at need for both ends. Steel braided cable is strong and cheap, and they have kits to make strong loops for each end. I put a rubber pad under the weights so I don't damage my platform. Many gyms have lat pull down machines, and they do sell commercial versions of what I fabricated. Good luck.

(being old, fat and weak for now)
    Cheesepuff, by this do you mean well seasoned, insulated against the cold and still in early stages of reaching current genetic potential? :-)

stlrick.... looks like a very nice run at LP, but might have to knock you a few points for posting a jpg that geezer eyes struggle with as much as I did.... but seriously, looks like a good run. Like Cheesepuff said, gravity is very wise in these matters!

Thanks for the positive feedback - Sorry about the image size - I'm not sure why it shrunk

Here's a quick shot of key lifts

Started 11/21/18 to 1/25/19
    Squat 115 now 250
    Bench 105 now 167.5
    Dead 145 to 250
    Standing 75 to 102.5 (Started late 12/18/18 until I figured out how to perform lift with short ceiling)

I was Power Cleaning (78 to 110) but I've dropped that since its seems Bent Rows are better for a 54 year old.
    (I'm also not sure if I'm doing them correctly)

Just started building toward chins last night. Chin ups have always been a weak spot.

I have to tell you - all the lifts are getting hard...

starting strength coach development program
    Chins are huge weakness for me as well, great article here by Nikki Sims about that and I think she also has a video on BB-Logic about that as well. Good luck and I look forward to your new log entries here on the site ;-)