starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinding Out Squats Solo Concern

Default Grinding Out Squats Solo Concern

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After 9 weeks of LP, I've reached the point with all the lifts are grinders.

I'm not that worried about missing a bench, standing press or deadlift, but I've started to wonder what happens when I cannot complete a squat.

How does a person "escape" a failed squat?

Quote Originally Posted by stlrick View Post

I'm not that worried about missing a bench, standing press or deadlift, but I've started to wonder what happens when I cannot complete a squat.

I bench inside a rack with saftey bars set. In 4+ years I've had to bail out just twice to the bars. I had also practiced bailing out with light weights to be comfortable with the idea. I would worry too about missing a bench if I wasn't inside the rack. But I bench inside the rack too, with safety bars set, unless I have a very good spotter.

Oh, I think there is a video somewhere on this site about bailing out of a squat to safety bars.

Just let go, shrug and step forward, that's what I did many years ago when I tried way too much. Be prepared for a lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrick View Post

I'm just going to put it out there that your perception versus reality are likely not congruent 9 weeks into the program. Make of that what you will.

But, yes, squat in a rack or with a stand with safeties. Pitch forward, knees down, and put the bar on the safeties. Alternatively, don't plan to fail.

This happened to me recently - failed my first squat rep and had to use the safeties for the first time.

Make sure the safeties are in the right place - just a little below your squat depth.

When you are truly in trouble and you can't make it back up, your body will figure out how to get down to the safeties, even if you think it's a little lower than "as deep as you can go". In my case, I fell forward a bit and made my back more horizontal than normal.

I considered practicing failure, but I decided that I didn't want to give myself permission to fail reps like that. When I needed the safeties, they were there, and they worked.

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Just let go, shrug and step forward, that's what I did many years ago when I tried way too much. Be prepared for a lot of noise.
    This is a great way to have your gym membership revoked or to find yourself in the market for a new bar for you home gym. Plan better, lower the squat onto the safety pins.

I had an experience where I relaxed my upper back just before the end of a rep (lost focus and was thinking about racking) and it just slipped off my back and slammed into the safety bars. Noisy is right! Slightly bent my new bar as well. I believe the new bar not having the center knurl contributed to the event.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    This is a great way to have your gym membership revoked or to find yourself in the market for a new bar for you home gym. Plan better, lower the squat onto the safety pins.
    Didn't say it was a good idea, but if you bite off more then you can chew and find yourself at the bottom of a squat, no pins to set it on, what else are you going to do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast