starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diet advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One thing I did that I forgot to add in my post is that I've made milk part of every meal, and I also drink it between meals. I find its pretty effective, particularly post workout. I had some today after a relatively brutal session of squats and I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by zendefone View Post
    Alright thanks people, i get the idea now. I will just jack my calories up then, but try to add veggies in too. I'll try to eat alot mainly in my 3 main meals, then add milk in between.

And thanks trackjunkie for the clear explanation.
    Are you sure you're training properly?

Maybe it's 'cos I'm a fat lazy fucker (at least mentally) but ever since I've started I've been hungry all the time.

Hell, during training I usually do my squats and presses and take a one hour break to eat/ surf the net then come back to finish off the session and then eat some more.

I am/ was pretty obese so I had a reason to watch what I eat and make sure that my food was 'clean' in the sense that I was trying to fit in as much protein, vits and minerals (in the form of fruits and veges) in as little calories as I could and even then I gained loads of mass around my thigh and upper body and, in my case, my waist went down.

You're at a reasonable weight, so Just Eat - you don't have my 'advantage' in that you don't have a built in famine insurance plan in your abdomen. Half a year of eating 'dirty' will not give you CHD, 'beetus or a heart attack.

I guess i have kinda a phobia of eating alot because there was a period of time where i slack on training, no squats, no deadlifts and low intensity training, eat alot and drink lots of milk and gain lots of fat. My weight just shot up and me having a huge belly.

Well, if you eat a lot without training, you will get fat. If you train a lot without eating, you will lose muscle. A happy "medium" exists, and that medium gets quote marks since the happy "medium" hear is extreme training combined with extreme eating, so it's not really a medium at all... oh well.

I'm 154 lb and 5ft 8 in. yeah by now you'll be shouting at me for me to gain weight, i know i'm damn skinny.
    This is an unacceptable situation and it must be rectified immediately, if not sooner. The GOMAD diet is for people like you. You are drinking two liters of milk. That is about half of what you need.

But i have another problem, chin ups, i can only do 2 chin ups(yeah damn pathetic). And i'm pretty certain/fear that when i gain weight, my chin up numbers will turn to 0(probably because my legs gets bigger way faster than my upper body) and i wanna be able to do chin/pull ups. I don't mind gaining BW, just not too much of fat.
    Then you need to find a way to work chins a little more often. You don't want to make your elbows sore by doing too much work, but you will find as you squat and get stronger that your chins will increase, too. Maybe you need to four sets of chins instead of three. Maybe you should incorporate some assisted band work in there. Maybe you need to get strong on the deadlift and power clean, too.

Whatever the case, stop stressing about body fat. You are going to put on some fat and that is okay. Get used to it. Worrying about your six pack is a great way to get nowhere. Once you are strong, then worry about losing fat. It is easier to do that than gain muscle. In the meantime, train with aggression and lots of food.

Thanks for the tips!

I have 1 last question, since it is mentioned that there is no difference between 3 meals and 6 meals a day, should the protein intake be spread out throughout the day? I heard that protein should be spread out 4-5 meals a day. Or can i just cramp a huge amount of protein in one or two sittings a day?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zendefone View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

I have 1 last question, since it is mentioned that there is no difference between 3 meals and 6 meals a day, should the protein intake be spread out throughout the day? I heard that protein should be spread out 4-5 meals a day. Or can i just cramp a huge amount of protein in one or two sittings a day?
    Well, here's a study on meal frequency, 3 versus 6 meals, where 3 meals a day is better than 6:

Conclusion: In this study, three meals per day resulted in larger muscle- and strength
    gain from strength training when in positive energy balance than six meals per day
    over a period of twelve weeks. The reason why we draw opposite conclusions from
    short-term studies needs further investigation. More long-term studies are needed to
    determine the optimal meal frequency for ultimate gain in LBM from strength
    training, and larger groups may be needed to determine an effect of meal frequency
    on fat mass. The changes in fat mass had large variations within and between the
    groups, making it difficult to draw any conclusions.

http://www.duo.uio.no/publ/basalfag/...duringxxx..pdf

But like it says in the conclusion: this is just one study, which isn't enough to say with absolute certainty that 3 meals is better than 6. In practicality, whatever you feel works best is probably the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12