starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to learn the lifts around Boston, MA

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "Being the strongest dude in the gym sucks (when you aren't really that strong). "

You working out at Planet Fitness these days? :-)

Where in Boston area are you? I wouldn't mind working out with a partner once in a while. Help each other on form issues. I've created a decent home gym, I'm in Newton.

Another great gym in RI is Ocean State Gym, also in Johnston. Google tells me it's now called "Ocean State Body Builders".. not sure if that implies new ownership or what. Looks like the same setup in the photos at least. It is a classic, dingy, black iron gym. Did my first meet there. Cool space, lot of legit lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    I swear the South Shore is like the Bermuda Triangle of barbell coaching/quality gyms. With the exception of one spot (where I am a member) and the 3 billion Crossfit boxes there is no gym I have found to have platforms/bumpers, and with that comes a lack of coaching. Noah, screw the North Shore and come down to the Dirty South.
    Is the one spot you're a member of Bay State Athletic Club in Scituate? If not, add that to your list. Never lifted there myself, but I did a weigh-in there. An extremely nice and thoughtful man runs the place, and it has a separate room just for powerlifters/strength athletes with good bars, plates, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    Noah is no longer living in Massachusetts. I believe he was the only SSC in MA. Any options for someone who wants a qualified eye critiquing their lifts in person in real time? Other than traveling to NYC??
    I am not an SSC, but if anyone ever finds themselves in the Fall River area, I train at General Fitness, and am more than willing to provide form feedback. Especially regarding the squat, DL, and press 1.0. Still learning 2.0. No power cleans though.

No was actually referring to Centre City Gym in Brockton. Ed is the owner, and he's owned the gym for 30 years. He was a competitive oly lifter (I think he won Nationals back in the 80s), so his training methods are oly oriented, however he has coached some successful powerlifters, and his teams place fairly well. His methods are very influenced by Soviet methods, so take that for what you will, but he's a wealth of knowledge and has great stories. It's been a haven for competitive oly lifters, powerlifters and bodybuilders for a long time.

The South Shore Y in Quincy has some decent power racks and a decent DL platform. Sometimes you see some legit SS-type squats being performed. There are a few of us there who are tuned into the SS program, Advanced Novice and TM. if you are interested let me know, I would be happy to train. You know it will be me because I am the only guy filming my sets.

Never heard of Centre City. Looks legit.

I train in a small gym called Fisique in downtown during my lunch breaks. No barbell culture - there's a new manager pushing TRX, kettlebells, and classes. They have a giant Rogue rig, but crappy 32mm barbells. I am also the only guy filming my own sets.

While I'm not an SSC, FWIW I train my wife in the lifts and think I do a good job of it. I'm happy to buddy up with anybody that wants to train together on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by djwilson View Post
    The best place to train in RI is Next Level Fitness/Athlete Training Center in Johnston. They have about 8 platforms, 8 racks, astroturf area with prowlers, bumper plates, pull up bars, big tires, etc.
    strength and conditioning training, strength & conditioning training

Just following up on this, I think this is the gym Travis Cooper ended up with after moving to RI. But he works up there...I wish there was a better option in SE RI.

Westerly CrossFit Lenco Fitness is amazing for Olympic lifting these days. Can't ever make it out there what with the little one though...

I train in my home gym, 1hr north of Boston and resorted to SSOC. I've been really impressed so far.

Trained a couple days at Total Performance Sports in Malden. Nice gritty powerlifting/strongman gym. They teach the "TPS Method", which I haven't seen but everybody who squatted while I was there was doing low-bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Do any of you currently train at TPS in Malden?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123