starting strength gym
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: John Broz System

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Who's having a go at Mendes? I'm having a go at Broz!

"You must squat heavy everyday or you're a pussy."
    "Wouldn't we need drugs to do that?"
    "My lifters do it."
    "It turns out at least some of your lifters are on drugs, though."
    "You're a pussy."

It's always best to have full disclosure. "My system is brilliant - if you can lift full-time and take drugs." Both of those things are not easy, so it puts his calling everyone pussies into context.

But you can squat heavy everyday even if you are not on drugs.

This is the most depressing sports-related news Ive heard in a while. Athlough english I was really excited to see Mendes grow and become a WR and OR holder in the 2016 Games not to mention the WCs in between.

But just to double check. The ban is 100% done and dusted and there is no appeal as he is definitely guilty? Or is he doing the usual rounds claiming innocence?

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    You should try it. Whatever is your max, squat that for several singles 12 times a week - morning and night, 6 days a week - for 10 weeks. Then report back.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    But just to double check. The ban is 100% done and dusted and there is no appeal as he is definitely guilty? Or is he doing the usual rounds claiming innocence?
    In most countries, you can appeal your conviction and sentence. However, if found guilty again, your suspension may actually be made longer, and in any case will be served from the time of the appeal decision, rather than straight away.

This guy wasn't going to London this year anyway. There are some qualifying national comps in September 2014, I believe. So if he just takes his suspension he can train quietly for a couple of years, then come back for that comp. Whereas if he appeals, even if they just confirm his current suspension, well the appeal could take six months... so he misses the 2014 comp.

It's usually best to just suck it up and accept the suspension and/or fine. The only ones who ever get their suspensions reduced or cancelled are the multimillionaire cyclists.

Couple of annoying misconceptions here. Note that I'm speaking directly and only to the points quoted below, and not to anything else on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    You should try it. Whatever is your max, squat that for several singles 12 times a week - morning and night, 6 days a week - for 10 weeks. Then report back.
    The system is not squating to a true competition 1RM.

It's squatting to a DAILY MAX.

There's a big difference between grinding out to 1RM several times a week, Vs. working up to something that feels like a 9 RPE, without excessive psyching up or smelling salts etc., and going from that DAILY MAX on to other training. The RPE will self-regulate and the DAILY MAX will be a different weight on different days, based on recovery, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    Ahem! But without the injectable recovery aids, the DAILY MAX you squat to will be lower than it would be WITH the injectable recovery aids.

And the recovery aids will (indirectly) help strength, because you'll be able to "titrate" a higher training load more consistently.

^^ what he said

also, kyle aaron is an idiot and doesn't realize pat built up to training everyday

or else he chooses to ignore that fact

either way kyle aaron is an idiot, as he has proven time and time again

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    ^^ what he said
    I think you should give it a shot just to prove your assertion that Kyle is an idiot. Try Broz's system; build up to a training max with several singles 12 times a week without drugs. Let us know how awesome it worked for you so we can all chime in and call Kyle an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    I think you should give it a shot just to prove your assertion that Kyle is an idiot. Try Broz's system; build up to a training max with several singles 12 times a week without drugs. Let us know how awesome it worked for you so we can all chime in and call Kyle an idiot.
    And just to be clear:

I ain't calling anyone an idiot on this thread.

I'm just speaking to two specific and annoying misconceptions, only one of which was posted by Kyle, namely that they trained to a 1RM daily instead of to a "training max" daily.

There's a whole lot of implication in going to a "daily max." Some people never respond well to frequency like that. Some people can't draw the line at 9 RPE and go past it and then burn themselves out (is that their fault or their coach's fault?). Some people aren't capable of pushing to that 9 RPE (again, is that their coach?) on a consistent basis in order to make progress. If a person doesn't gradually work up to higher volume and higher frequency, they risk problems. Etc.

It's a lot more complicated than "he's an idiot" or "that doesn't work without drugs". It's more than a fucking sound byte. So can we raise the level of discourse on this topic, pls?

I know, I just get a little tired of all the ad homininem BS. Some guy failed a piss test so his coach is full of shit. I don't like what that guy said in the other thread about wrist straps so his contribution in this thread about dips as an accessory exercise is useless, etc. etc.

Most of us haven't taken steroids. Most of us haven't tried Broz's program. Most of us don't have any direct experience with anyone who has done either of the two. That makes most of us not terribly qualified to say with any level of certainty what will or will not work under certain circumstances.

starting strength coach development program
    The idea that there is no such thing as over training is pretty fucking dumb. Some people can get away with drug free high intensity workouts day in and day out, but the overwhelming majority of people - no matter what level of athletics - needs to rest and recover occasionally.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast