starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When does a set of 5 become 5 singles?

Default When does a set of 5 become 5 singles?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When I've been Deadlifting recently, I take a little while to set up. For the first rep the set up is probably 30-45 seconds; each subsequent set-up tends to be maybe 15-20 seconds. I probably shouldn't worry about it, but is there a certain time distinction for when a group of reps can no longer be qualified as a set?

I've seen a thread or two on this if you want to dig for a more in depth discussion. The most basic requirement I've seen is keep your hands on the bar. If you're resting for a minute, getting a drink, and chalking up between reps you're doing singles.

Don't worry about set up for the first rep since you haven't started yet, that time doesn't count. 15-20 seconds between reps... I wouldn't worry much about that either. But use your judgment. If you're starting to think you're edging into 5 singles versus a set of 5, and what you intend to be doing is a set of 5, drop a little weight so that you can knock them out faster.

There is a current form check where the OP asks Rip if his pause between DL reps is too long. Rip's response was that the pause wasn't an issue per se (at least in comparison to a back rounding problem) but that it may be indicative that the lifter is using a little more weight than he should be for a legit set of 5.

under 5 seconds, it's a set of 5. Over 10 seconds, it's singles, between the two is a bit squishy.

Deadlifts are weird in that you can rest the bar on the ground. Everything else requires you to be active when the bar isn't moving. You CAN rest at the bottom of the bench, but good luck getting it back up after resting with the bar laying on you.

I think 5 seconds for a set of 5 on deadlifts is a little fast, I'd 10-15 seconds is a good set of 5(and thats fast honestly), 1-2 seconds to pull it half second to put it down, 1 second to reset valsava.

To your question OP if you let go of the bar its over, like yesterday when doing a dead pr I wasn't feeling it, I pulled one and took two steps to rack it but decided not to, I lowered it, reset grip and did another 4. So technically I did 1x1,1x4

IMO, taking 15-20 seconds between reps is too long to constitute a set of 5 on deadlifts. For a set of squats or benching, I'd be more likely to consider it because the lifter is still holding the bar up somehow. I'd strive for less than 10 seconds between reps. But there is nothing sacreligous about doing singles. It's like a cluster set almost.

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    IMO, taking 15-20 seconds between reps is too long to constitute a set of 5 on deadlifts. For a set of squats or benching, I'd be more likely to consider it because the lifter is still holding the bar up somehow. I'd strive for less than 10 seconds between reps. But there is nothing sacreligous about doing singles. It's like a cluster set almost.
    I'd agree with this. Why would it take so long to start the next rep - if you are resting, then I would not call this a 5RM, 3RM or whatever.

Probably up to the lifter, if you're taking 10-15 seconds to setup it's probably acceptable, but if you're taking 10 seconds to try and rest because you don't think you could lift it without the short breather then it's a broken set. Or maybe I'm full of shit, I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    To your question OP if you let go of the bar its over
    Wut? I often have to reset grip, I wouldn't call that over. I often need several breaths between reps just due to holding the breath for the duration of a rep. Probably means I'm unfit, but then I'm not deadlifting for cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by hrat View Post
    Wut? I often have to reset grip, I wouldn't call that over. I often need several breaths between reps just due to holding the breath for the duration of a rep. Probably means I'm unfit, but then I'm not deadlifting for cardio.
    My deads are just under a touch and go, sometimes I may stop, flex the hands if they are killing then back in, nor more than 5 seconds. Squats, it could be a bit longer to fill the lungs but about 5 seconds as the bar gets a bit heavy standing with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I think that criteria is a bit strict. I seem to recall Rip recommending switching the grip each rep if you use an alternate grip.

As far as how much time is too much: go with your gut, if you think you're waiting too long to the point where you have to ask about it, you probably are.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast