starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap/Hex bar deadlifts

Default Trap/Hex bar deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We've just started playing around with these at my place. Has anyone used them in their regular programming? Much more like a squat than a deadlift from what I can tell. I'm trying them out as a substitute for front squats and to add another pull variation without destroying my lower back.

Kind of like a sumo pull with more range of motion (assuming you are using the low handles), in that you can maintain a much more vertical back angle. Trab Bar def has more demand on the Anterior chain, less mobility demands and less shear force on the spine. I've seen it described as a spectrum on these 3 aspects: Trap bar Deads <-------->Sumo Deads<---------->Conventional Deads

Oldster uses them as a regular part of his training for the exact reason you mentioned. My gym just got one, the only thing I've used it for so far are shrugs, and I actually didn't really like them because my hands were too wide - but I have incorporated them in the past.

So, to answer your question - I do think they would work for your intended purpose (getting some pulling in, while not over taxing your recovery on lower back), but I don't know how much transfer you would see to a conventional pull, since they are recruiting different musculature, if that is what you are going for, imo.

I have them use them as squat substitute after my back injury. Now to really hit my quads hard I pulled off a 100lb plate. I just did sets of 5. Just like Rice mentioned, they did not overtaxed my back at all.

deficit trap bars can trash quads.

they feel much more squat than pull to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Reynolds View Post
    We've just started playing around with these at my place. Has anyone used them in their regular programming? Much more like a squat than a deadlift from what I can tell. I'm trying them out as a substitute for front squats and to add another pull variation without destroying my lower back.
    There was a post on the old strengthmill website I believe, where Rip said the same thing about it being more like a squat. I have seen videos of one of the burgener girls doing them from a box, clearly as a "leg" exercise in this way.

Never agreed with me when I tried them, but they make a lot of sense. Go for it if they feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post
    Kind of like a sumo pull with more range of motion (assuming you are using the low handles), in that you can maintain a much more vertical back angle. Trab Bar def has more demand on the Anterior chain, less mobility demands and less shear force on the spine. I've seen it described as a spectrum on these 3 aspects: Trap bar Deads <-------->Sumo Deads<---------->Conventional Deads

Oldster uses them as a regular part of his training for the exact reason you mentioned. My gym just got one, the only thing I've used it for so far are shrugs, and I actually didn't really like them because my hands were too wide - but I have incorporated them in the past.

So, to answer your question - I do think they would work for your intended purpose (getting some pulling in, while not over taxing your recovery on lower back), but I don't know how much transfer you would see to a conventional pull, since they are recruiting different musculature, if that is what you are going for, imo.
    Tarp bar is supposed to be quad, sumo is ass all the way. Very little quad. I may start using the tarp bar though, as I need to do shit that doesn't tax the back.

Well, I pulled a fuck ton of heavy reps today, so I will find out how that works out tomorrow...

I've used them in prepping for strongwoman contests, but to simulate a car DL. I've always continued to pull conventional on a different day though, not as a replacement. My DL improved more with 2x/week conventional plus variant (deficits, chains, etc) than 1x/week + trap bar. FWIW, my low back was still taxed with the trap bar if it was heavy enough and/or lots of reps.

Quote Originally Posted by jenica View Post
    I've used them in prepping for strongwoman contests, but to simulate a car DL. I've always continued to pull conventional on a different day though, not as a replacement. My DL improved more with 2x/week conventional plus variant (deficits, chains, etc) than 1x/week + trap bar. FWIW, my low back was still taxed with the trap bar if it was heavy enough and/or lots of reps.
    Would you consider 49 reps "lots?"

Haha.

I definitely see it as a replacement for front squats not for conventional deads, although a few of the guys at my place are doing more pulling work than I am, and they really like the trap bar. I pull conventional deads every once in a while for shits and giggles, but more often I am doing clean pulls and RDLs

Also, how does your trap bar deadlift compare weight-wise with your conventional deadlift?
    Last edited by Tamara Reynolds; 06-17-2013 at 08:55 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I've performed trapbar deads for 20 years. I've always had a glass low back from a couple accidents and have to treat it.....tenderly.... Though they use quite a lot of quad, I treat them as a deadlift. Once per week until it becomes very heavy and then once every 14 days. They are much like a squat, with the exception of the fact you are holding the bar in your hands.

A great way to make them better is at the end of each progressively heavier set, do a set of 5 or 10 shrugs. You can also warm up for TB deads using the lighter weights as a high pull. I used to lift with a really good deadlifter that would do a set of 5 with 5 high pulls with 135 after each individual rep, go up to 225 and do the same thing. Then at 315, 405, 495 and 585 would do a shrug at the top of each rep. Just a bull with a trapbar.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast