starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athletic tape for hook grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was using co-flex medical tape for wrapping my thumb when hook gripping. It stays put and no sticky residue.

I was wondering, I've seen guys using the wider rolls of tape, then split them down the middle as they tear of a piece (for thumbs/hook grip).
    But if I got a wide enough roll, I could also use them to wrap wrists too I guess when I need to.

The Average Broz tape is hands down the best on the market. Rogue sells it.

where exactly do you put the tape? also, why would someone need to do this, is it pain mitigation or does it actuall help you hold on to heavier weights?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    where exactly do you put the tape? also, why would someone need to do this, is it pain mitigation or does it actuall help you hold on to heavier weights?
    If you try/learn hook grip you'll very quickly learn exactly where on your thumb it needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    It's to protect your skin if you do lots of reps.

Curious if anyone here has used Nubs: Amazon.com : Nubs, thumb sleeves for the hook grip : Sports & Outdoors

I always worry that the reviews are from people who don't really lift heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    It's to protect your skin if you do lots of reps.

Curious if anyone here has used Nubs: Amazon.com : Nubs, thumb sleeves for the hook grip : Sports & Outdoors

I always worry that the reviews are from people who don't really lift heavy.
    Never used them, but the picture makes them look a little too thick to be able to wrap the finger over the thumb. Also, not a good sign that the picture of them in use is not actually a hook grip.

Waste of time you don't need it.

Tape doesn't seem to want to stay put for me. I broke down and bought those Nubs. They work better than I expected. Very tight on the thumbs, not going anywhere. And doesn't leave a residue. If you get these, be very vigilant about where you keep them. The small size makes them easy to lose. Been using mine for about 6 months and there's no sign of wear on the thumb covers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Waste of time you don't need it.
    Exactly.

Its SRA. Just use hook grip a lot and your thumbs will adapt. I actually think tape can be dangerous - if you wrap over the thumbnail, you can rip out your thumbnail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast