starting strength gym
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Fat Estimation Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Spat,

If you feel like re-visiting this clusterfuck of a thread, you'll see why I have an issue with Veryhym when it comes to training related topics. But note that this thread has not been the only time he acts like this:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=28859
    Eh, I guess I don't ultimately care enough. I'll take your word for it, since I know from personal experience that you are an infallible expert in judging the horribleness of the posters on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    Eh, I guess I don't ultimately care enough. I'll take your word for it, since I know from personal experience that you are an infallible expert in judging the horribleness of the posters on this board.
    Oh, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    WTF, guy? Are you sure you're not getting him mixed up with someone else?
    Sadly... no. Briks has had it in for me since my run in with Reynolds because how dare i question Reynolds and his methods (see below) though i thought he had mellowed. Still don't know why hamburgerfan is hating on me. Last time i thought he said it was some miscommunication but don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    He might be an ok guy, I have no idea. But when it comes to anything lifting related, he's fucking awful. Hes terrible and weak and tries to bring everyone down to his level. He is the first person to chime in whenever someone accomplishes something that its probably not true or right. Exter says he squatted 315, Veryhym says they were probably high. Someone claims to have 12% fat, Veryhym tells them its probably higher. Matt Reynolds says all his HS trainees press 135x5x3 within a couple months, Veryhym says he must be lying. Its fucking constant. Just because he is fat and weak, he thinks everyone else must be too or they are lying. And he doesn't realize that its that attitude that is probably the main reason he's fat and weak.
    I would let this pass, but it's full of crap. I don't know how much you read this board but i'm generally positive and encourage people to do the program and to get strong.

On exter: I've actually been engaging w/ him on this site since last year. He's a young guy with program ADD problems and injury problems and what to eat problems and all that. I was not trying to "bringing him down", but to encourage him not to get off track. If you actually read how the thread to which you allude continues, you'll note that we're fine.

On this Reynolds thing.... let's see who said what shall we(this initial statement was to someone else):

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    Here's the problem that so many people miss with Starting Strength. IF you are an adult male between the ages of 15 and 45, and you are stalling on press and cannot rep 150lbs, then you've done the ENTIRE PROGRAM WRONG. I have 70 HS kids and ALL of them that have been with me more than 3 months can standing press 150lbs for reps. If you can't you aren't eating enough or you are just flat out being a panzy in the weightroom. Stop being ok with mediocrity. 150lb presses for reps are embarrassing. Anything less than that after 3 months of lifting should throw you into a deep state of depression.

We have to get to a place where 185+lb presses for reps are the NORM not the exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    At the risk of offending the staff, and you seem to be fairly quick to anger, i am skeptical of these statements. i've been at this for about 9 months now (with some back offs due to injury) and while i made it to 3 plates of squat i am just under 1 plate of press (and at 210 Lbs BP). My forearms are a bit on the long side, but my shoulders are healthy. mid 30s male 6' 245 lbs 30+%bf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    LOL. I am not quick to anger at all. I'm just sarcastic and have fun. You can be skeptical all you want, but if you've been training for 9 months at 245lbs bodyweight and can't press 135, then you ARE DOING THE PROGRAM WRONG. Your press is over 100lbs LESS than your bodyweight after 9 months of training, which means that you have made almost no progress at all. I will literally bet any amount of money that I could take 99% of the junior high kids in this country and could have them pressing 135+ in 9 months.

My God, how do you guys mess this up so bad???
    And he kept going from there ... about how i don't have heart and just don't get it etc. though he never said one actionable thing about HOW i was doing the program wrong or anything.

So... tell me again who is shitting on whom there?

edit: and just to be clear, not only do i not want other people to not be fat and weak like me (though i'm not THAT weak and (no longer) THAT fat), i want everyone here, including myself to be not-fat and relatively strong. Personally i don't have any desire (currently) to get to the 550+ level of strength but i doubt you'll find evidence of my expressing anything that can be construed to be advice about their training or eating to someone who is that strong.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 10-26-2012 at 03:34 PM.

I don't remember attributing it to a miscommunication. Must be a miscommunication on one of our parts.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    >went to school for music composition

>should have studied body composition

>mfw

Looks to me like you have become a artist, chiseling away at your work of art.
    Well done you have done better than 99.9% of the people out there.

Rip is going to measure wolf's bf with calipers...this should get interesting.

ya, last time the good 'ole calipers got busted it out, it really set things straight...

Welp, this makes me feel like shit about my press.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rment View Post
    Welp, this makes me feel like shit about my press.
    Compare it to mine, you'll feel much better.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry guys, wasn't trying to knock anybody besides veryhrm by bringing that up. I know Craig to be a great dude and hard and smart worker and I don't doubt you are too, torment. Verhyrm still doesn't get that the reason I knock him isn't because his press is weak, but that it's his horrible limiting attitude that he has for himself and tries to spread to others that pisses me off.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast