starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transition from Power Cleans to Full Cleans

Default Transition from Power Cleans to Full Cleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do you guys have any tips on how to start doing Full Cleans. I'm really use to catching the bar up high that when I try to do a full clean it looks like I power clean then squat. It just doesn't look as fluid as it should. Besides practice does any body have any advice?

don't pull as hard? Add more weight?

Add 5 lbs to your max power clean. Still power cleaning it? Keep adding 5 lbs.

if you're trying to convert from rippetoe power cleans to full cleans, then you should probably just start all over with learning the technique/progression

cleans should not be "jump & shrug" like rip teaches

a great drill to begin with is holding the bar with clean grip while standing, shrug and slowly lower the weight to hanging, repeat, and the 3rd time as soon as you begin the shrug, pull yourself under the bar... this will help ingrain the feeling of what you need to do for cleans

another good drill is to perform a clean without lifting your feet from the ground or moving them -- this will help teach you to quickly get under the bar

I actually found Glenn Pendlay's videos helpful. I tried following Rip's and Greg Everett's methods but things didn't work very well for me. Mind you I'm still learning following Glenn's method, but I'm getting closer.

Stonerider told me to do pull cleans for two reps and then clean which is what I've been doing and I find it really helps finding and ingraining the position of the 2nd pull. Which is very similar to the Pendlay beginner program.

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    if you're trying to convert from rippetoe power cleans to full cleans, then you should probably just start all over with learning the technique/progression

cleans should not be "jump & shrug" like rip teaches

a great drill to begin with is holding the bar with clean grip while standing, shrug and slowly lower the weight to hanging, repeat, and the 3rd time as soon as you begin the shrug, pull yourself under the bar... this will help ingrain the feeling of what you need to do for cleans

another good drill is to perform a clean without lifting your feet from the ground or moving them -- this will help teach you to quickly get under the bar
    Do you have a video of that drill? I'm having a hard time visualizing that. . . Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
    Do you have a video of that drill? I'm having a hard time visualizing that. . . Thanks!

Like that but without the Jerk(s)

like that video, except the shrug stops at the top and is slowly lowered, and there is no hip flexion -- should be standing completely straight (hips extended) the entire time

it's obviously difficult to do with heavy weight, so starting with the bar or maybe 55lbs would be a good idea

also, when performing the first 2 shrugs, they should be POWERFUL and make a "clank" sound from the weights on the bar at the top... if not, then you're not shrugging hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    like that video, except the shrug stops at the top and is slowly lowered, and there is no hip flexion -- should be standing completely straight (hips extended) the entire time

it's obviously difficult to do with heavy weight, so starting with the bar or maybe 55lbs would be a good idea

also, when performing the first 2 shrugs, they should be POWERFUL and make a "clank" sound from the weights on the bar at the top... if not, then you're not shrugging hard enough
    I'll mess around with that; thank you!

starting strength coach development program
    The weight needs to be heavy enough such that pulling yourself under the bar *has* to happen to receive the weight in the rack. Working from the hang can help, as taking off a bit of the momentum you get from the 1st pull will usually mean you'll have to actively pull yourself under the bar. You can also try tall cleans: stand there with the bar and pull yourself under.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast