starting strength gym

Thread: Modifying a belt..

Default Modifying a belt..

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a real nice powerlifting belt which I have not been using much because it is so difficult/time consuming to get on tight enough. It is a two prong type, and to pull it tight enough whilst simultaneously guiding the prongs into the holes is a two person job.

I was thinking of putting a hole in the end of my belt about 12mm diameter, so I can hook it onto one of the pins on the squat stands, while I pull back to tighten belt and get it fastened.

Has anybody done something like this? Do I need to worry about the hole becoming stretched out and messy over time? Is there a way to install a reinforcement/metal eyelet?
    Last edited by Dastardly; 05-03-2012 at 08:33 AM.

I think that would work, but why not get or make a belt puller?

Most of the belt pullers are for the single prong belts, but I have seen some for two prong as well. Even using the puller, the belt will get a little ripped up over time.

Even if it gets a bit tore up from pulling, so what? Isn't that end of the belt only under stress until you set the buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    Even if it gets a bit tore up from pulling, so what? Isn't that end of the belt only under stress until you set the buckle?
    Yeah, I don't think it would wreck the belt, it just makes it look bad. A guy I workout with uses a belt puller all the time. He has had his belt for years.

where can I find a belt puller? I tried googling but this very thread was the only relevant thing that came up.

Use one of these in the hole you make:

http://www.mycreativeideas.co.uk/8.html

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    where can I find a belt puller? I tried googling but this very thread was the only relevant thing that came up.
    Rudy sells them at Overkill. http://twitter.com/#!/overkilstrength

I'm sure some of the other big companies sell them too, but I didn't see them on the websites. If you go to a meet, tons of people have them.