starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else going to try Jim Wendler's 100-Rep Challenge?

Default Is anyone else going to try Jim Wendler's 100-Rep Challenge?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I did my first day yesterday. I squatted with the 5/3/1 template, did stiff-leg deadlifts, and hanging leg raises. Today is my first lower-body 100. I'm really dredding the upper body 100 and I doubt I'll be able to complete 100 reps in any of them to start. I'm going to give it all I've got, but realistically I doubt I can do most of these the first week.

I know it isn't the SS type of thing, only doing the main barbell movements each once every two weeks, but I thought I'd see if anyone was intrigued. I'm just trying to come back from a few weeks off with another back issue(I've got a vertebrae raping a nerve in my back) and I wanted something that would be challenging, help my size and shape some, while going a little easier on the heavy squats and deadlifts for a few weeks. This interested me so I figured I'd give it a try. After all it's only 6 weeks of my life and I can always just take up 5/3/1 again as soon as it's over.

Here is the article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...0rep_challenge

The program looks like this:

Monday:
    Squat/Deadlift 531 (alternate every week)
    Stiff leg deads or Good mornings - 3-5 sets at 10-15 reps
    Hanging leg raises 3-5 sets of 10-15

Tuesday:
    100 single leg squats (50 per leg)
    100 Hamstring curls w/ 10-20lbs
    100 situps

Wednesday:
    Sled walk 40yards x3 with light weight, x2 with medium weight, and x2 with heavy weight

Thursday:
    Overhead Press/Bench Press 5/3/1 (alternate every week)
    Overhead Press/Bench Press 10x5 (alternate every week, opposite of 5/3/1 lift)
    T-bar or dumbbell rows 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps.

Friday:
    100 front plate raises wtih 25lbs
    100 barbell curls with 45lbs barbell
    100 Kirk Karwoski Rows with 135lbs

Saturday:
    Sled Walk 40 yards with medium weight x6

Yep, 6 days per week for 6 weeks.

This was something he hashed out with Paul Carter from Lift-Run-Bang, who has written about 100-rep curls for a while now. I've thrown them at the end of my workout week before, and you definitely feel it, even with a light weight. I had to use an empty EZ curl bar (15 lbs) to finish all 100 reps the first time. Seems like it'd be good for some hypertrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    I had to use an empty EZ curl bar (15 lbs) to finish all 100 reps the first time. Seems like it'd be good for some hypertrophy.
    I was afraid of this. I new I was in trouble when Derek Poundstone said he could barely struggle his way through 100 reps with a 45lbs bar.

I'm going to try the 45lbs bar and see how it goes. My plan is to knock out as many as possible without putting the bar down, log that number, then see if I can finish off the 100 doing sets of 10 or so, log that number too, and try to improve every week as I go.

Did you see any results doing 100 reps?

Woo! Broad time and modal domains! Muscle confusion!

"I've used many of these 100-rep exercises during my rehab and over the years. However, it wasn't until Paul Carter and I took the time to brainstorm about how to incorporate them into a proper training program that it all came together.
    You'll be outrageously sore during this time. Expect it and embrace it. It's only 6 weeks; hardly a lifetime and something you should demand from yourself
    Yes, this 6-week challenge sucks, but it will teach you a lot about yourself and you'll develop the mental and physical granite that many of us seek from the iron."

Proper training program for what ? mental toughness?

As a test of manhood and making yourself sore sure, but i hope he's never said anything bad about CF or P90x or endurance athletes because they have this stuff down pat and do it every week year in and year out.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 09-11-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: re-read the article. changed the rant.

I did a deload last week and for the hell of it grabbed the 45lb bar after a day of medium front squats, press, pull ups and pushups. I made it to 25 reps and decided I had enough. I coulda kept going, and added some momentum, but I definitely would not have even made it to 50.

I don't get the point. I mean, you could do 100s of pushups, or you could just bench. You could do 100s of air squats, or you could just squat.

Isn't this what we all make fun of Crossfit for?

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    I was afraid of this. I new I was in trouble when Derek Poundstone said he could barely struggle his way through 100 reps with a 45lbs bar.

I'm going to try the 45lbs bar and see how it goes. My plan is to knock out as many as possible without putting the bar down, log that number, then see if I can finish off the 100 doing sets of 10 or so, log that number too, and try to improve every week as I go.

Did you see any results doing 100 reps?
    I've only been doing them for a couple of weeks, so nothing yet. I really just tried them out of curiosity, since my biceps size is one of the few things of my body that I'm actually comfortable with.

If anything, sometimes it just feels good to get a quick pump before heading home.

P90xers and Crossfitters generally don't eat enough to grow. I'd imagine if you did these exercises for 100 reps while eating to grow, you could see some good mass gains. Carter and Wendler's aren't doing it for the muscular endurance, they are doing it for the muscular growth.

I'm not doing it, but I've been doing sets of 25 on my curls and lying tricep extensions and seem to be seeing more arm size than when I was doin lower rep sets.

I finished day 2 and it was no joke. It was brutally hard. Normally I'd say that tomorrow's sled walk would be a cakewalk, but after today even tying my shoes will be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Woo! Broad time and modal domains! Muscle confusion!

Proper training program for what ? mental toughness?

As a test of manhood and making yourself sore sure, but i hope he's never said anything bad about CF or P90x or endurance athletes because they have this stuff down pat and do it every week year in and year out.
    How many P90X people also lift heavy? For that matter how many Crossfitters also lift heavy? Most I see and have seen are doing nothing but high reps at low weights.

Quote Originally Posted by ecj View Post
    I don't get the point. I mean, you could do 100s of pushups, or you could just bench. You could do 100s of air squats, or you could just squat.

Isn't this what we all make fun of Crossfit for?
    Well in this particular program you do bench. And the day afterward you do a whole lot of assistance. You also squat, then do a whole bunch of assistance the next day.

Personally I've never really made fun of Crossfit, as I've known some great people who have done Crossfit with great success. I've criticized Crossfit before for having a complete novice do things like thrusters without having ever shown the a press/push press/jerk or how to properly front squat, much less shown them how to combine the two. Crossfit is full of blunders such as this, but it's not all Crossfitters or Crossfit affiliates.

And maybe, just maybe Jim Wendler knows what he's doing.

If you're done with novice linear progression, why not give this a try? What's 6 weeks going to hurt?

starting strength coach development program
    i'm not doing the program but i'm incorporating the 100 reppers in my routine

i just did 20x100 on the curls lol not even the real bar

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast