starting strength gym
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Best Belts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Again, politics. Competitors can voice their opinions by moving onto other federations, but I kinda get the feeling that many competitors will buy what's approved if they don't already own approved gear.
    Or, as is the case here in Sweden and might also be the case in other countries, besides the US, there are no other federations. All of our meets, except for smaller meets arranged by powerlifting clubs (mostly targeting non-powerlifters to try to get them interested in the sport), follow IPF rules.

There is from memory, at least one GPC affiliated gym in Sweden. The one's who had Ed Coan over IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    So apparently there's a one time approval fee and a yearly "licence fee".
    That was the way the conversation came across. and if the provious comment about $10k fee is real that is some serious cash.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    The IPF should use some of those equipment fees to pay for decent spotters.
    I had almost forgotten that whole debacle. Kindly add it to my list of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The IPF certainly has sponsors. But what they are doing is showing outright bias to their sponsors by making lifters only use equipment made by the sponsors. i.e "You pay us $$$$$, and we will force people to buy your shit." It would be like making everyone in the PGA own a Buick. It's stupid and anti-free market, and you know most of these assholes claim to be libertarians.
    The IPF peeps claim to be libertarians? I think this is all silly too, but some of this discussion is just getting kind of out there.

Also the IPF wasn't responsible for the spotters at Worlds. That was the meet director.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    The IPF peeps claim to be libertarians? I think this is all silly too, but some of this discussion is just getting kind of out there.

Also the IPF wasn't responsible for the spotters at Worlds. That was the meet director.
    When's his suspension over?

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    Shouldn't the IPF ensure a minimum standard for meet consistency? What's the point of having a federation if the quality of meets can vary wildly from director to director?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    When's his suspension over?
    Not denying the politics of the sport at all.

And Marc, as I understand it there are meet director expectations. Trust me, there was plenty there that the IPF officials didn't seem happy about and were working to improve.

Default Best Belts

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    These were jokes. However, my point stands that it's anti-free market. And via the equipment certification fee, the manufacturers, who are typically sponsors, are now trying to guarantee an ROI for their marketing dollars. That's not how things work.
    Got it. [emoji4] just not sure some people remember that the IPF is in Europe, not the US.

I know you know this.

This sort of thing has also happened in other sports here as well.

So for clarification, I'm against this ridiculous equipment fiasco, I think there are some significant problems in how things are being done.
    Last edited by Leah Lutz; 01-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Matt Haden from General Leathercraft talks about his experience trying to get his belts approved by the IPF toward the end of his interview here The Story of Pioneer Belts: Crafted in America ? Massenomics

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast