starting strength gym
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: TRIPLE bodyweight squat at 13

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What a ridiculously amazing feat of strength -- to 3x bodyweight squat with that depth at that age is just plain sick.

On to the HBBS/LBBS debate.

Let's say I have both: (a) a 500# weight with a fulcrum and a lever; and, (b) a 600# weight with another fulcrum but a longer lever. Let's assume it takes 100# of downward force on the opposite end of the both levers to lift these weights. Am I stronger because I can move the latter weight? No, my leverage (by virtue of the longer lever) is just better. The same is true of squatting. You are not necessarily "stronger" because you can LBBS more than you can HBBS. You HBBS less because you are in a disadvantaged position. The innate "strength" of a lifter is not changed by his or her methodology of moving the weight.

The question should be whether, if we take two identical lifters with identical FS and OHS numbers, have one train LBBS and one train HBBS for, say, 6 months, and then re-test their FS and OHS, who would see more improvement in their FS and/or OHS? I don't think anyone can answer that question. So, really, all this debate is just pissing into the wind.
    Last edited by Thomas Jones; 02-27-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinSimons View Post
    Thanks guys!

Kooline- I was his gymnastics coach for two years from the time he was 9-11. We built up a great amount of strength and athleticism with body weight first. When he decided the sport wasn't for him, he started lifting weights with me in September 2011, so just over two years ago. We started on SS with some general GPP work. Three months into lifting he squatted 100kg while still 11. A year later he squatted 150kg. Last weekend he hit 200kg. I told him I expect nothing less than 250 next year

About 11 months ago we decided to shift the focus from general strength and GPP work towards weightlifting. He has really excelled in the sport. He has an American Record in both snatch and clean and jerk and is ranked 6th out of America's 17 and under lifters. In the few weeks since the ranking came out he has added 15kg to his total (105 kg snatch 131 kg clean and jerk) so the ranking will likely improve at his next meet. It has been a great experience for both of us getting involved with the community and traveling to the national meets. We have also had the opportunity to go train at the Olympic Training Center and he is expected back every school break. It was amazing working with the US team head coach Zygmunt Smalcerz and multiple Olympic champions on refining his technique as an athlete and my abilities as a coach. We're having fun, and yes, the kid loves it. He chose to train at 5:30 every morning with me so he could also compete in wrestling last year. He never missed a session. He is the most dedicated athlete I have ever worked with.

We will be flying to Chile for the PanAms in a few months. It's so exciting! I can't wait to see what kind of numbers he can put up by then!

Great stuff man. Congrats to you and the kid. This is what happens when someone has great dedication, genetics and good coaching.
    Last edited by Rezart Erindi; 03-04-2014 at 09:43 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by immortal_k View Post
    being on the ss forum, have you read coach rip's opinion on high bar squats in relation to weightlifting? Just curious about what you think.
    the original sin.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789