starting strength gym
Page 468 of 517 FirstFirst ... 368418458466467468469470478 ... LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flush View Post
    I just started assembling my craigslist T3 rack (haven't even tightened everything up yet) and I have a question about plate storage logistics. I have a plate tree and 4 plate posts to attached to the rack. I thought about trying to keep half of each size plate on each side of the rack to make loading the bar easier. Does that work for most people or does keeping all of the same size plate in one location work better? If I split them up on each side, what works best for the rack posts? All post on the back side with the 5s and 10s up high and the 45s, 35s, and 25s down low or should I use both the front and back of the rack. The plate posts are the bolt on type, not the type that inserts like a j-hook, so experimenting will be a bit of hassle.

Because my son and I will often lift together and we are too far apart in height, I foresee us using a bar inside and a bar outside the rack most of the time.

Attachment 5863
    Excuse the picture of my whole setup here, but you can see how I did my plate storage! I find that if you put the 45s down low they don't interfere with benching at all (not for me or anyone who's benched at my place before), and I set the 25s/10s up high enough that they won't get in the way when racking a bench. I put the 5s/2.5s on the front and this has worked out perfectly for me. and i've been able to put all 12 45s, 8 25s, 6 10s, 4 5s, and 2 2.5s on my rack. I have one pair of 35s and I just keep those on the ground since I almost never use them. It's possible!!!

7a8747f4e8194312be8527971fcce73eb6dabc3a-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 51M0n View Post
    The cable pull is very solid. There is a tiny bit of a pendulum effect where the weight goes up and down, but it's very small, and you can't feel it at all at the pull down end.no side to side movement at all. The rock climbing pulleys are very smooth, and I think using two of them helps make the system very smooth.

One of the reasons I made my own was I didn't like the single pulley system of the Spud Inc version as it has too much of a pendulum effect, and I could use plastic coated wire rope which won't frey like the Spud one does.
    What did you use on the terminal end to hold the weight? I can't quite see it in the photo. I made a similar pulley setup earlier using rope, and that doesn't work. I'm planning on getting cable next but I never found a good weight holder. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post
    Excuse the picture of my whole setup here, but you can see how I did my plate storage! I find that if you put the 45s down low they don't interfere with benching at all (not for me or anyone who's benched at my place before), and I set the 25s/10s up high enough that they won't get in the way when racking a bench. I put the 5s/2.5s on the front and this has worked out perfectly for me. and i've been able to put all 12 45s, 8 25s, 6 10s, 4 5s, and 2 2.5s on my rack. I have one pair of 35s and I just keep those on the ground since I almost never use them. It's possible!!!

Question about your set up. It looks like you have an 8 x 8 platform and the rack is on it. If that's right, do you think it leaves enough space to deadlift?
    I have Rogue squat stands and a bench in a little room in the basement, which has old stone walls on two sides and a brick wall on another. Space is a little tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post

How deep is your rack? Mine is only 24" and it looks like yours is deeper. I am not sure how much that will affect plate storage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flush View Post
    How deep is your rack? Mine is only 24" and it looks like yours is deeper. I am not sure how much that will affect plate storage.
    My rack is 36" deep. Probably wouldn't effect the bench to use your weight storage in this way. I squat outside the rack using the safety arms. Titan sells them for like $65. 24" depth would make for a pretty sweet half rack. Ideally you could make both rear uprights into plate storage and use the arms to make it a half rack.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    Question about your set up. It looks like you have an 8 x 8 platform and the rack is on it. If that's right, do you think it leaves enough space to deadlift?
    I have Rogue squat stands and a bench in a little room in the basement, which has old stone walls on two sides and a brick wall on another. Space is a little tight.
    I have plenty of room to deadlift. I have a little more than 4 feet to work with. Here's the only video I have of just me deadlifting (without other footage)

Deadlift 500x1RM - YouTube

I'm also starting to power clean again and I don't feel like I'm running out of space either.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Jugrock View Post
    What did you use on the terminal end to hold the weight? I can't quite see it in the photo. I made a similar pulley setup earlier using rope, and that doesn't work. I'm planning on getting cable next but I never found a good weight holder. Nice work.
    I used standard plumbing supplies. The only slight difficult part was drinking the hole in the end cap to fit an eye bolt through. Would have been much easier to do with a vice or drill press.

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ml#post1592401

The steel pipe is screwed into one of these, which is wide enough that the plates sit on it nicely.

Kinetic 20mm Galvanised Flange | Bunnings Warehouse

What is the best deal on a pair of 10 or 15 lb bumper plates? I just want something good enough for learning and warming up power cleans for my son. We don't need top quality for dropping. With a $10 coupon I have, I can get 2 10 lb Rage Fitness bumpers from Dicks for $30 shipped. Is there anything wrong with these plates at that price?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 51M0n View Post
    I finished making a cable attachment for my power rack. Used a pair of cheap ebay rock climbing pulleys which are nice and smooth, and also some rock climbing nylon loops to attach them to the rack

Set up one way it allows me to do lat pull downs, face pulls, triceps push-downs etc,
    Nice work.
    Which pulleys did you get? Do you have a link? Also, i'm guessing that's just coated wire cable? You should make a post in the DIY Equipment thread