starting strength gym
Page 496 of 517 FirstFirst ... 396446486494495496497498506 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    His effort to rerack the thing was unbelievable. Jeeze. Do we know what barbell that was?
    Those R3 racks are tanks. All anybody ever needs..

Yeah his effort on this was ridiculous. I would've bailed out at the bottom, but his safeties were definitely not set high enough.

Early reports are saying it was a Troy barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Those R3 racks are tanks. All anybody ever needs..
    Agreed. Just seeing that video has bolstered my conviction that I made the right decision to pay the extra $'s for an R-3, rather than something less expensive (not that I'll probably ever lift that much;not at my age).

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    His effort to rerack the thing was unbelievable. Jeeze. Do we know what barbell that was?
    He said in the r/Powerlifting daily thread when it happened that it was a Troy barbell. Glad he was able to walk away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    He said in the r/Powerlifting daily thread when it happened that it was a Troy barbell. Glad he was able to walk away from that.
    The infamous Troy Barbell, who sold the VTX bumpers to John Janacek that didn't hold up, then refused to replace them? I don't think I'll be buying anything from them when I'm in the market for gym equipment, no matter how good a deal it looks like.

That is an incredible lift!
    One rep of bend the barbell around your back.
    I'm only LMAO because he didn't get hurt.

It would have been ugly if he failed at the bottom. The safeties were barely above knee height. Unless the bar bent enough to touch them.
    That barbell didn't even survive the walkout before it started bending.
    I wouldn't rate that barbell at 675. A maximum safe load should be at least 1/2 the yield strength.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    It would have been ugly if he failed at the bottom. The safeties were barely above knee height. Unless the bar bent enough to touch them.
    That barbell didn't even survive the walkout before it started bending.
    I wouldn't rate that barbell at 675. A maximum safe load should be at least 1/2 the yield strength.
    He could've dumped it in the hole, not deal with getting one side on the hook and the other side a no-way. Then saying fuck because his only option was a one sided bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    He could've dumped it in the hole, not deal with getting one side on the hook and the other side a no-way. Then saying fuck because his only option was a one sided bail.

Yes, if he lost it in the hole he would have been forced to dump it, a wreck compared to setting it down on properly adjusted pin/pipe.
    Once he was standing with an unrackable bar, there were few options, hooking one side and bailing was less of a wreck than dropping 675 from shoulder height.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Yes, if he lost it in the hole he would have been forced to dump it, a wreck compared to setting it down on properly adjusted pin/pipe.
    Once he was standing with an unrackable bar, there were few options, hooking one side and bailing was less of a wreck than dropping 675 from shoulder height.

He was planning a triple, so once he stood back up and realized the bar had failed and it wouldn't meet the hooks,he could've squatted back down and dumped the bar on the safeties. Less risk of injury that way, and the bar was already scrap metal. I guess some risk of damage to the safeties depending on how far the bar fell, but metal is replaceable, injuries are bad.

There were a lot of things that could've gone even worse here. The bar might've slipped off the one hook he got it on (or the hook might've failed), one of the clamps might've slipped off, or the bar might've snapped. He was lucky to get out of that with just a knee-tweak.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    He was planning a triple, so once he stood back up and realized the bar had failed and it wouldn't meet the hooks,he could've squatted back down and dumped the bar on the safeties. Less risk of injury that way, and the bar was already scrap metal. I guess some risk of damage to the safeties depending on how far the bar fell, but metal is replaceable, injuries are bad.

There were a lot of things that could've gone even worse here. The bar might've slipped off the one hook he got it on (or the hook might've failed), one of the clamps might've slipped off, or the bar might've snapped. He was lucky to get out of that with just a knee-tweak.

Clever.