Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Nice find, John. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Nice find, John. That's awesome.
    Thanks, Sean, I got pretty lucky, and also just continually checking craigslist for a long period of time. (couple years).
    Plus, very few have space for a rack like that around here, so less competition on purchasing.
    I'm pretty happy with it.

Default Old Dogs Gym returns

FINALLY! We got flooded out - fourteen or so inches of water in the basement due to a storm and two day power loss - and have spent the last month removing debris, scrubbing down, and otherwise recovering. No, no flood insurance, and it wouldn't have covered without a separate sump pump rider anyway.

Lost a total of two pairs of shoes and the original platform which was breeding white AND black molds.

Actual build time was about two hours.

Nice recovery! What is the bottom layer(s) on your platform. Looks like 2x4's with a top layer of OSB. Is that in case you get some minor water event. (as if there are minor water events)

I came very close to building those plate boxes myself until I came across a steal on some plate trees. Even then I've still been tempted.

Glad you're up and running again! Strong work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Nice recovery! What is the bottom layer(s) on your platform. Looks like 2x4's with a top layer of OSB. Is that in case you get some minor water event. (as if there are minor water events)
    The whole thing is built on top of pressure-treated 2x4s then two layers of OSB with screws every sixteen inches over each layer. I built the box for the bumpers, but there's a pair of plate trees as well for the iron.

Gonna be ordering my setup in May. Gonna be getting a mix of both Bumpers and Cast Iron and wanted some feedback on my planned setup before purchase. Particularly on the bench and the mix of plates.

R-3 Rack
    B&R Bar
    Debating between 3 benches
    1. Rogue flat bench
    2. Rep Fitness comp bench
    3. Rep Fitness adjustable bench
    Homemade platform
    Rogue HG bumpers
    1 pair of 45
    1 pair of 25
    2 pairs of 10
    Rogue basic black cast iron (4 separate customer service reps assure me it's +/- 2% so I'm not spending the extra on the machined for +2/-0%)
    3 pairs of 45 (more later as needed)
    1 pair of 5
    1 pair of 2.5
    Dan Miller microplates

Forgot to mention I'm also considering getting Vulcan Alpha plates in plates of Rogue HG

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Gonna be ordering my setup in May. Gonna be getting a mix of both Bumpers and Cast Iron and wanted some feedback on my planned setup before purchase. Particularly on the bench and the mix of plates.

Dan Miller microplates
    This should be pretty much the default SS garage gym setup (except the bumpers as noted below)--what I wish I had purchased initially.

A couple questions/comments:
    -What are your basic stats, training status, age, etc? Are you just beginning NLP or have you been on SS for a while?
    -I don't like flat benching on an adjustable bench. I'd get the Rogue flat bench based on aesthetics, but the Rep one is probably fine too.
    -What's your reasoning for getting bumpers (especially 10s and 25s in place of iron)? I'd start with only iron plates at first, unless you're already doing Olympic lifts and enjoying them. I don't see any value in powercleans as a beginner, though. Even if you want to do them, you don't need bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griffith View Post
    This should be pretty much the default SS garage gym setup (except the bumpers as noted below)--what I wish I had purchased initially.

A couple questions/comments:
    -What are your basic stats, training status, age, etc? Are you just beginning NLP or have you been on SS for a while?
    -I don't like flat benching on an adjustable bench. I'd get the Rogue flat bench based on aesthetics, but the Rep one is probably fine too.
    -What's your reasoning for getting bumpers (especially 10s and 25s in place of iron)? I'd start with only iron plates at first, unless you're already doing Olympic lifts and enjoying them. I don't see any value in powercleans as a beginner, though. Even if you want to do them, you don't need bumpers.
    Stats:
    31, male, 5'8", 180 lbs
    Tapering off NLP and will be transitioning into HLM within the next week or two.
    Squat 325 x 3 x 5
    Press 130 x 3 x 5
    Bench 195 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 340 x 5
    Power cleans 140 x 3 x 5

Purpose of getting the bumpers is I enjoy the power cleans, also they will useful for deadlifts when my wife begins her LP next month. I also figured there isn't a reason to get steel if I already have that specific weight as a bumper. 25 lb bumper weighs the same as 25 lb steel.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Stats:
    31, male, 5'8", 180 lbs
    Tapering off NLP and will be transitioning into HLM within the next week or two.
    Squat 325 x 3 x 5
    Press 130 x 3 x 5
    Bench 195 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 340 x 5
    Power cleans 140 x 3 x 5

Purpose of getting the bumpers is I enjoy the power cleans, also they will useful for deadlifts when my wife begins her LP next month. I also figured there isn't a reason to get steel if I already have that specific weight as a bumper. 25 lb bumper weighs the same as 25 lb steel.
    In that case I'd get one pair of each of 45/25/10lb bumpers. I'd also get iron 25s and 10s. I've seen reviews saying the Rogue iron 45's are actually slightly smaller (17.5" not 17.7") than the HG bumpers, so if you're mixing and matching iron and bumpers, your bumpers are going to be taking a lot of impact. Might be fine, but it would bother me, especially for loading the 25's and 10's.

I also like iron 25s and 10s for doing weighted chins and dips--bumpers are too cumbersome to load on a dip belt.

Oh, I would also get a full deadlift jack. Other than that, looks like an awesome setup!