starting strength gym
Page 505 of 517 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First time posting here, apologies if I'm in the wrong area.

I have been slowly accumulating my garage gym equipment from Craigslist type websites/apps. I just bought my first barbell for $25. The only markings are on the end caps reading CHAPMANPOWER.COM.

I have only been able to find a few references to a Mike Chapman that made barbells with very little other information through Google which seems astounding to me that more didn't come up.

Anyone know anything about these bars? I'm relatively new to the barbell world, wondering if I've got junk or a gem for a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Please post again after your bench experience. I'd like to know what your thoughts are there as well. I've got a Monster Lite rack I could use this on if it makes sense for me.
    The Rogue monolift was great for benching, I think that's where it shines, better than for squat, and primarily why I got it. Eliminating the awkward unracking did a lot for keeping my shoulders feeling solid, and not all discombobulated just prior to executing a heavy bench.

One thing to keep in mind is on the re-rack, the bar traces a slightly downward arc, and the monolift traces a slightly upward arc, so if you don't have it set low enough it could be a reach. I think I probably positioned myself too low on the bench on the first try, as I'm used to unracking from hooks, and I nailed hook instead of landing on top. Once I dial in unracking from the balance point at the top of the bench, press it's going to make unracking and re-racking so much smoother.

Really glad I got it, I think it's going to help bench progress.

With jhooks, if you unrack with your eyes below the bar, it's a fair amount of bar travel from hooks to balance point, at a very disadvantageous geometry. I'm glad to have this eliminated.
    Last edited by John Watson; 04-25-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    The Rogue monolift was great for benching, I think that's where it shines, better than for squat, and primarily why I got it. Eliminating the awkward unracking did a lot for keeping my shoulders feeling solid, and not all discombobulated just prior to executing a heavy bench.

One thing to keep in mind is on the re-rack, the bar traces a slightly downward arc, and the monolift traces a slightly upward arc, so if you don't have it set low enough it could be a reach. I think I probably positioned myself too low on the bench on the first try, as I'm used to unracking from hooks, and I nailed hook instead of landing on top. Once I dial in unracking from the balance point at the top of the bench, press it's going to make unracking and re-racking so much smoother.

Really glad I got it, I think it's going to help bench progress.

With jhooks, if you unrack with your eyes below the bar, it's a fair amount of bar travel from hooks to balance point, at a very disadvantageous geometry. I'm glad to have this eliminated.
    I've been thinking of a monolift for bench, the more I read stuff like this, the more I want one. I lift alone at home (in a rack with safeties so at least I won't die), the lack of a lift-off makes it a little iffy, and seems to jack up my shoulder if it's >300lb.

Default Titan T3 rack...whoops!

Just got my T3 rack via Amazon yesterday. Looks to be of solid construction. Yes, the welds could be prettier, but that's something I sacrificed to save $$ over Rogue. I haven't tested it out yet because, well....The other thing you sacrifice with Titan is customer service vs Rogue (who are consistently praised for good service). My rack arrived without one of the uprights! It came in 2 boxes, the longer of which looked to have had the end torn off and re-taped on. This has happened to me with multiple freight-shipped items over the years, so no immediate cause for concern, but I was surprised to find that I had only 3 of the 4 uprights. I can't really work around this, so assembly will have to wait.

Of course, Titan customer service is only M-F during business hours, so I will have to wait until Monday to hear from them regarding a remedy. I am hoping they will make it easy and just expedite the missing piece, but I will let you know. I left VM and also sent a note via Amazon.

So for all of you hoping, like me, to save some $$ with Titan, know that you shouldn't depend on them if your order is time-sensitive. I can wait, but if I really had to assemble it this weekend for some reason, would have been more of a bummer.

IMG_4149.jpg

New guy here, I found this thread to be interesting so I figured I would post up here. I have been a commercial gym guy for a long time (20 years or so) and I figured I would set up a garage gym after discovering the SS method. Rack, bench, and weights from Dicks, bar is the Ohio Power Bar, cheap Dick's bar is in the corner for landmine duty. I have not started any SS LP or anything, still reading and learning and figuring out where I am with the different lifts regarding form and weight. Never done anything like SS before, just basic weight lifting, running, cycling, etc.. Lots of great info on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I was surprised to find that I had only 3 of the 4 uprights. I can't really work around this, so assembly will have to wait.

Of course, Titan customer service is only M-F during business hours
    Happened to me. They've responded to my emails over the weekend if I recall correctly, but at any rate over the phone they were quite nice and sent me a fourth upright immediately. It was annoying waiting 4-5 more days to assemble the thing, but not $2,000 worth of annoyance.

Should I have any reservations about buying a Rogue Boneyard Ohio bar? Isn't for anything outside the program.

20180428_162047.jpg
    20180428_162027.jpg
    My all black Cerakote Ohio Power Bar will be here tomorrow. And I'll want to replace my crappy plates eventually. Otherwise, my home gym is complete! Thanks to Starting Strength, I am poised to increase my strength for years to come.

Click for larger size.

Can mods delete the last one? I can't figure out how. Sorry for the inconvenience. They were supposed to be coded as thumbnails from the start.

Default Titan T3 missing upright

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Happened to me. They've responded to my emails over the weekend if I recall correctly, but at any rate over the phone they were quite nice and sent me a fourth upright immediately. It was annoying waiting 4-5 more days to assemble the thing, but not $2,000 worth of annoyance.
    So they didnt call me back, but did email me via Amazon on Sunday (their CS 800# was only open M-F) and they are shippinf the 4th upright to me this week.

Very good service recovery, which is nice. Interestingly, I did some searching, and in addition to ithryn here, I found a couple other posts about people with missing uprights on this rack! Strange problem to have repeatedly....

I should have the complete rack by the weekend. Should anything else go wrong I will return here to vent!