starting strength gym
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microplates for sale

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Dan. I look forward to putting them to use. I tried to go 3X5X240 this week on the BP but couldn't quite get it. I did 235 last week. Time to micro load. Same story on the press. I did 3X5X165 last week but I'm doubtful on 170 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisi01 View Post
    You should talk to Rip/Stef about maybe getting this on the site if you cannwant to support demand, considering microloading is part of the program and microplates are not common in commercial or home gyms..
    Haven't asked, but Rip has said elsewhere he's not in the equipment business. I get away with cutting these plates out cheap, but only because it's a small scale thing. If it got too big and I had to pay full price (overhead absorbed) the cost would go up significantly. I'm content to just keep things small scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the plates today Dan. They look great. I might de-grease them and shoot a little paint on them just to doll them up a bit.

Got mine a few days ago, they look great. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Moser View Post
    I got the plates today Dan. They look great. I might de-grease them and shoot a little paint on them just to doll them up a bit.
    I shot-blast all the plates first, which leaves a very porous surface that would rust by the time it got delivered. The original scaly surface of the metal actually protects from rust, but it doesn't look as nice. That's why I spray them with a light coat of oil. To paint, scrub with hot soapy water and dry thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
    I shot-blast all the plates first, which leaves a very porous surface that would rust by the time it got delivered. The original scaly surface of the metal actually protects from rust, but it doesn't look as nice. That's why I spray them with a light coat of oil. To paint, scrub with hot soapy water and dry thoroughly.

I very much appreciate your making these available, but while the oil is appropriate in a machine shop, it is very messy and inconvenient the intended use, i.e, a gym. I guess I'll have to paint them, which is challenging as an apartment dweller in winter.

Can the scaly metal be handled without gloves? If so, is it possible to order a scaly version?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
    I didn't have any problem with the oil in my 680 square foot condo. I put a little isopropanol on a rag, wiped the plates down, sprinkled some chalk on them, wiped that off, and voila.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I didn't have any problem with the oil in my 680 square foot condo. I put a little isopropanol on a rag, wiped the plates down, sprinkled some chalk on them, wiped that off, and voila.
    I didn't realize that chalk could prevent rust; I thought I would have to paint. How long has the chalk been working?

Quote Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
    I didn't realize that chalk could prevent rust; I thought I would have to paint. How long has the chalk been working?
    Chalk doesn't prevent rust, it absorbs any oil I missed wiping off with the alcohol. Being kept indoors prevents rust.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, don't paint them. The paint will wear off in the inside and you'll get more corrosion in the exposed surface than you would if you didn't paint.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast