starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does bench quality affect your bench?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There are 2 benches at my gym, one of them I never bench well on, and the other one I do. I will have to grab the names off of them, but the shitty one seems like the rack is too narrow, and my hands fall too close to where the bar goes into the rack and I am going to get pinched.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    You can get a new Titan bench for $114 shipped. Not sure how it compares to other benches, but Titan is usually a good value.

If you're going to be training for a while, save up for some decent equipment. Check Craigslist frequently. Don't buy a cheap adjustable bench.
    I have a cheap adjustable bench, not interested in getting another. Decent adjustable benches are way out of my price range. I'll look into Titan and see if I can find any Rogue's used in my area. Need to save up first, since seeing a SSC is the first order of business. And then getting a real belt...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Oh yes, it's very slick. Gets on my nerves. What kind of bands are you wrapping around the pad?
    I use that stuff that keeps rugs from sliding. Super cheap and I just keep it folded up in my gym bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Skander View Post
    I use that stuff that keeps rugs from sliding. Super cheap and I just keep it folded up in my gym bag.
    Great idea! I have a bit of shelf-liner lying around, never occurred to me to put it on my el cheapo bench.

If you think the pin is sketchy, you could always pick up a garden spike or 60D nail at Home Depot.

I don't know if bench quality affects outright numbers (probably does). However, I can tell you that a good bench (just like any other piece of equipment), is a pleasure to use. Makes your setup consistent, comfortable and supportive. It's like knee sleeves for squats... yeah, they're worth it.

I came back to reply to this thread because I was recently benching in a commercial gym and had a much harder time staying tight and at one point felt a weird pain in my upper back. The IPF rules (page 7) state the bench should be:
    Height: 16.5-17.7" (measured to the top of the pad)
    Width: 11.4-12.6"
    Length: 48" (min)

I've tried many benches and my favorite by far is the EliteFTS Flat Bench with "Black Gripper" pad. It's built to competition specs and I prefer the black gripper pad as it mimics having chalk on my back in competition - without having chalk all over my home gym

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Not true. Rep Fitness FID bench is solid and $309 before shipping. Think shipping was $20 to California

Rep Fitness Adjustable Bench - FID Bench
    Rep's Flat Bench is pretty solid and affordable as well. I've been using one since my adjustable bench bit the dust a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Great idea! I have a bit of shelf-liner lying around, never occurred to me to put it on my el cheapo bench.
    +1

starting strength coach development program
    When I built my bench I used a heavy burlap-ish fabric. I greatly prefer this over leather-clad benches I've tried (admittedly I have not tried the better options out there... just the globo-gym benches).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12