starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does bench quality affect your bench?

Question Does bench quality affect your bench?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm benching with an old el cheapo (Weider), and I was wondering if the quality of one's bench has much of an affect on the bench press. Does height of the bench matter? Does the amount of cushion or lack thereof matter? My bench is 18.5" high, and slightly wobbly since it has "adjustable" height up to 45 degrees using a cheap, loose-fitting pin.

I don't have money to buy a new bench, but would be willing to save up and keep on eye open on craigslist if y'all could convince me that a nicer bench would drive my bench from 160 3x5 to 3 plates :P

If I recall correctly. and I may not, your bench is actually and inch or so taller than a regulation bench press.

If your el cheapo bench is like mine was, and like most gym benches, a main problem is that it's very slick. You can either chalk the shit out of it, or you shirt or what really gives traction is to loop a couple of bands long ways around the pad.

Width, I do not remember. Sorry.

Oh yes, it's very slick. Gets on my nerves. What kind of bands are you wrapping around the pad?

I got my bench to 275 using a milk crate for my body and a plyo platform for my shoulders. It wasn't comfortable, but it worked. I then bought a cheapo TDS bench which has gotten me to 365 (and likely higher).

Your existing bench should be fine to get you to ~ 300lbs.

I hate the cushy ones. I bet the manufacturers upscale the shit out of cushioned bench presses complete with a spotter platform because, you know, that's A necessary feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I got my bench to 275 using a milk crate for my body and a plyo platform for my shoulders. It wasn't comfortable, but it worked. I then bought a cheapo TDS bench which has gotten me to 365 (and likely higher).

Good to know! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how much weight the pitiful pin on my bench can handle before it warps/fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Oh yes, it's very slick. Gets on my nerves. What kind of bands are you wrapping around the pad?
    Just some old mini bands from elitefts that I had laying around. Any size would work though. I've used two minis and I've used one light band when I forgot my minis. You stick like glue to the rubber. Works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Good to know! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how much weight the pitiful pin on my bench can handle before it warps/fails.
    When I lifted at home on my $49 piece of shit bench, it didn't incline so I propped one end of it up on my then wife's adjustable height cardio step. What a death trap that was. Good thing my incline was as weak as it was. OTOH, it's amazing what a person can concoct with some imagination. I made a lat pulldowns out of bands and a dumbbell handle looped over the channing bar. Did dips with two barbells sitting across the pins set at chest height. You can do anything if you have some bands and something to anchor them to...pulldowns, pushdowns, face pulls, upright rows....where there's a will there's a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post

That's what I'm talking about! If you can't buy it, make something else work!

starting strength coach development program
    You can get a new Titan bench for $114 shipped. Not sure how it compares to other benches, but Titan is usually a good value.

If you're going to be training for a while, save up for some decent equipment. Check Craigslist frequently. Don't buy a cheap adjustable bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast