starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Equipment

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I made these lifting straps a few days ago and made a video on how to use both styles of these nylon lifting straps!

DIY Lifting Straps: Sewing optional - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post
    I made these lifting straps a few days ago and made a video on how to use both styles of these nylon lifting straps!

Very good sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post

I also made a set out of old motorcycle tie-down ratchet straps. Thinner strap material, like an oly strap.

My sew job was total shit, (this^ looks so much better) and they are still holding up.
    Point is, the sewing doesn't have to be perfect.

Caution: If you buy those type of straps from Rogue, they are not mirror images of each other, you get two of the same side strap.
    Technically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    (this^ looks so much better) and they are still holding up.
    Point is, the sewing doesn't have to be perfect.

Caution: If you buy those type of straps from Rogue, they are not mirror images of each other, you get two of the same side strap.
    Technically incorrect.
    LOL my sewing looks better? I think it looks a little rough...

But yes, thank you. I didn't make that point in the video but it absolutely doesn't need to be perfect. Just enough to tack it together. It isn't a load bearing stitch.

Looks like Alan Thrall has a few DIY projects up his sleeves.

Band Pegs for platform (not so sure I would like pulling the band against a that nut, but hey, cheap and effective)

Deadlift pulling blocks: Creative way to use extra stall mat

He also has a platform build video too w/ how to on stenciling a logo.

Alan's video is where I learned how to stencil my platforms FYI... once I move plate storage onto the rack I plan on using the leftover mats to make the blocks...

I don't know if this counts as "DIY" or not but it's a good source for some cheap-ish fractional plates.

I went to a local fastenal and bought 6 4.5"OD Washers for about $24. I also took the liberty of weighing out the washers on a postage scale and found that they were surprisingly close to 1.25lb per pair (0.625lb per washer). As you'll see in the pictures, I had 2 that were dead on and the others were off by almost a tenth each.

Because I'm a nerd, I marked each pair with electrical tape; the most accurate (orange), the slightly heavier (black), and slightly under (no marking). But effectively I think this is a good way to make jumps by 1.25lbs and 6 washers will be all you need between 0lb - 5lb jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

Technically incorrect.
    I'm in the process of sewing my straps right now, only used them once and want to make them more convenient by stitching together the loose ends...any help appreciated.

But can't get my head round why they must be mirror images!??
    Presumably, you would then allocate a "left" and a "right" strap, but how?

Not seeing how the order of overlap would matter when strapped in.

See pics.

Vs.

Bliss, as for the help stitching, Did you watch the video I made? I literally just chose a zigzag stich and ran it up and down a few times.

Also, does it matter? Ehhh probably not. I just prefer the strap riding over my thumb to be the one under because once it is sewed it lays better when wrapped around a bar. Just my opinion. YMMV.

And yeah, nightvision, it's mostly about the satisfaction of making something yourself. AND I had the strapping just laying around. You can also go to a outdoor shop where they sell tubular webbing and get 2" webbing for $0.50/foot. That's a total of $2.00 for straps that will outlast whatever abuse you put on them and don't even have to sew. I know straps can be cheap, but it's hard to beat the cost of free to $2

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by nightvision View Post
    You guys realize you can buy straps for pretty reasonable prices and not fuck around with all this scrap materials and sewing right?

You should learn to pick your battles.
    Did you notice what thread you are in? This is the thread for people who make racks and benches out of scrap wood, weld their own deadlift jacks, and lovingly de-rust and repaint antique York plates.

I.e. hobbyists, not economizers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast