starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SS lifters in Washington D.C.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    Had a great time training with Tom last night. Nice gym out there, too. If you're in the Capitol Hill area, I'd definitely recommend that Sport & Health.
    Yep, good times. CJ gave me some good cues that I hope will get my squat moving up again.

Hey all,

I’ll be moving to DC this fall. Would love to meet up sometime.

Also, what are the better gyms in the area for this kind of training? I’ll be in Mt. Vernon Square, and working around Farragut.

Washington Sports Club has a lot of locations including right around Farragut and also in the Gallery Place area which would be an easy walk from Mt. Vernon Square, so you could have options close to home and work. It's a commercial gym. Should have a decent free weight area, but may give you a hard time about crashing heavy weights down.

You might look at Balance Gym as well, local chain. I used to work out at their first location years ago when they were just getting off the ground. A bit crossfit/group class oriented, but I don't think exclusively so, should have equipment. I haven't had contact with them for years, don't know what they are like now, but might be less corporate than WSC. I think they make an effort to foster a social atmosphere among their members which might be nice if you are new to the area.

I've also worked out (pre-SS 'training') at a Gold's branch near L'enfant just south of the mall; I do not recommend it. Crowded, cramped space, terrible music/sound system. I train now at Capitol Sport and Health, very nice facility, 3 lifting platforms, a little pricey and not convenient to your locations (but that's the one branch I go to, not sure what other locations they have).

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Washington Sports Club has a lot of locations including right around Farragut and also in the Gallery Place area which would be an easy walk from Mt. Vernon Square, so you could have options close to home and work. It's a commercial gym. Should have a decent free weight area, but may give you a hard time about crashing heavy weights down.

You might look at Balance Gym as well, local chain. I used to work out at their first location years ago when they were just getting off the ground. A bit crossfit/group class oriented, but I don't think exclusively so, should have equipment. I haven't had contact with them for years, don't know what they are like now, but might be less corporate than WSC. I think they make an effort to foster a social atmosphere among their members which might be nice if you are new to the area.

I've also worked out (pre-SS 'training') at a Gold's branch near L'enfant just south of the mall; I do not recommend it. Crowded, cramped space, terrible music/sound system. I train now at Capitol Sport and Health, very nice facility, 3 lifting platforms, a little pricey and not convenient to your locations (but that's the one branch I go to, not sure what other locations they have).
    Thank you! I appreciate all the advice.

Default Tom do you still go to Sports & Health

Quote Originally Posted by js285307 View Post
    Thank you! I appreciate all the advice.
    Hey Tom,

I was wondering if you still are a member at Capitol Hill. Thanks to you, I gave it a tour and it is possibly the best gym in D.C. It would be nice to link up if that is the case. I want to get into Starting Strength. I have gone to 5X3 in Baltimore for an intro session. Cheers!

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by samir.kello View Post
    Hey Tom,

I was wondering if you still are a member at Capitol Hill. Thanks to you, I gave it a tour and it is possibly the best gym in D.C. It would be nice to link up if that is the case. I want to get into Starting Strength. I have gone to 5X3 in Baltimore for an intro session. Cheers!

Kind Regards,
    5x3 is always worth the trip.

I should have a home gym in Alexandria in the next couple months, and I'll be able to do in-person coaching there once it's set up. I'm not an SSC (yet), but I am a coach and can help you get going.

Quote Originally Posted by samir.kello View Post
    Hey Tom,

Kind Regards,
    Have you been up to the new Fivex3 location (on Foster Ave)? It's awesome, they have a lot more space now. Also, I finally got my garage gym set up, so you are welcome to come by and lift, and I'd be happy to go over any questions you have on form/programming/etc. CJ and I met up for drinks the other weekend, and he's a really good guy; hopefully next time we get together we can get a training session in. Here are some pics of the garage gym:

Squat 2.jpg

Bench 3.jpg

Press setup.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan Hirschman; 09-22-2018 at 05:24 PM.

I have moved away from D.C. But I hope you all connect for some training.

Say it isn't so?! You're the OP for this thread! Well I hope you at least moved somewhere with less traffic and more affordable housing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hirschman View Post
    Say it isn't so?! You're the OP for this thread! Well I hope you at least moved somewhere with less traffic and more affordable housing.
    Aye, we're all going to live vicariously through you, Tom.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast