starting strength gym

Thread: Stalling strength

Default Stalling strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've come back to linear progression after an unwanted layoff. My squat keeps improving, no complaints there. But my bench has stalled and I can't seem to go over 195. I've reset and got stuck on it 3 times. Deadlift is the same story at 300. I've ran the program 6 months on two months off and I've been back on it for two months. I planned on going to the Texas method next. Should I stay on staying strength until my squat stalls as well?

Not to be a total dick (just a partial one) but you can find all the answers you need using the search function on this one.

But I'm a special snowflake. Only kidding, I'll try searching again. I just hate to see my squat pass my deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddecisions View Post
    I've come back to linear progression after an unwanted layoff. My squat keeps improving, no complaints there. But my bench has stalled and I can't seem to go over 195. I've reset and got stuck on it 3 times. Deadlift is the same story at 300. I've ran the program 6 months on two months off and I've been back on it for two months. I planned on going to the Texas method next. Should I stay on staying strength until my squat stalls as well?
    You probably need intermediate programming for the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    So I'll keep doing 3 sets of 5 for squat adding the prescribed weight. But Monday, do 5 sets of 5 for bench and 3 sets of 3 for deads. Wednesday, I'll press and clean. Friday I'll do one set of 5 for bench and deads. This is the solution I found in my searching. If there's any glaring flaws anyone sees, let me know. I've read the books, and thus seems like a good way to transition to the TM.

Should I stay on staying strength until my squat stalls as well?
    As Ryan advised, you can separate your lifts quite neatly in terms of programming if you're using the M-W-F programming format. It's okay one or more lifts to be on the LP and others to follow an intermediate program.

All the standard questions about recovery, technique and rest time between sets certainly apply and are worth investigating.

One thing I learned the hard way is to accept when it's time to make a programming change. If the bench is stalling that much, it may be time to go intermediate. The only caveat to that would be if you had previously run your LP out to a much higher bench figure and now it's suddenly stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    As Ryan advised, you can separate your lifts quite neatly in terms of programming if you're using the M-W-F programming format. It's okay one or more lifts to be on the LP and others to follow an intermediate program.

All the standard questions about recovery, technique and rest time between sets certainly apply and are worth investigating.

One thing I learned the hard way is to accept when it's time to make a programming change. If the bench is stalling that much, it may be time to go intermediate. The only caveat to that would be if you had previously run your LP out to a much higher bench figure and now it's suddenly stuck.
    I got "stuck" at 185 for bench last time, so it's an improvement. I'm stalling at the exact same weight for deadlift as last time which is what bothers me most. I honestly feel like a weaker deadlifter than I used to be. However, my squat is up 40 pounds from my last run of LP. It'll catch deadlift within a week if progression holds up.

Body weight, height, and answers to "the first three questions" article?

starting strength coach development program
    As Greg_R requested, body weight, age , and height are all good things to know and will help out a lot. Also, are you microloading your bench? 5 pound jumps are simply not productive at 195 pounds for the vast majority of the lifting population.