starting strength gym
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Given intermediate programming should last significantly longer than sslp, that LP rpes of 9/10 are unsustainable for any length of time for an intermediate and notwithstanding the author's comments about possible different core exercise variations, presumably you simply repeat the 8 week cycle multiple times with the same
    rpe s ?
    Last edited by Overtrained; 08-22-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Overtrained View Post
    Given intermediate programming should last significantly longer than sslp, that LP rpes of 9/10 are unsustainable for any length of time for an intermediate and notwithstanding the author's comments about possible different core exercise variations, presumably you simply repeat the 8 week cycle multiple times with the same
    rpe s ?
    In this thread there are some answers from Jordan regarding re-runing The Bridge, and you should make some slight modifications to it (like increasing volume a bit). I wouldn't just re-run it all the same, but I also wouldn't change the RPE (intensity) prescriptions.

From the pdf itself:

Quote Originally Posted by The Bridge
    3) What should I do after this program?
    a. That’s a great question whose answer depends on what you want to do. Theoretically, you could repeat the program and probably get some good results, but you may need alterations in volume, intensity, frequency, or movement selection to optimize it to your specific needs. Coaching may be needed for this process.

Yes, I saw that. Just wanted to get the conversation started to bring together different thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Quite possibly the biggest problem with the LP.

If Austin and Jordan can find a novice to do the experiment with, it would seem to make sense to run the LP with a 5 minute rest limit. Once the LP runs out with that restriction in place, immediately transition to the intermediate model.
    That might be a good idea, but you could probably only do it with coaching. Most folks would sandbag it.

rpe s ?
    I'd imagine that the next step would be learning to autoregulate your volume if you are just a general trainee and/or to learn block periodization if you are an athlete.

It seems to me that The Bridge is a way to learn RPE as much as programming. Once you learn autoregulation, you can use any sensible programming as a skeleton and autoregulate the specific loads and volume.
    Last edited by George Christiansen; 08-22-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Dropping to 8RPE, and especially during the low stress week where only one set is even that heavy, is a sort of deload. For someone coming off the SSLP thins will actually cause and increased ability to display strength because fatigue will drop significantly.
    Assuming you actually do it @8 RPE. I assume I'm not the only one who has thought a weight one day should be an 8, but it was really an 8.5 or 9, but you second-guess yourself because of ego and call it an 8. Have mostly been doing some type of RPE-programming since January and the above scenario still happens frequently, the desire to go up in weight can interfere with the sober analysis.

I actually don't think something like 5@6,7,8*4 is that different from a 5x5 in TM (though this is of course a squat workout from a high stress week, did it yesterday and feel wiped), the only difference is that you might backoff 5% on the last 1-2 sets of the RPE-workout, so you avoid 1-2 9-10RPE sets, but hitting a 9 is still common in the first scheme, cause that's how you know you need to back down. Meaning RPE-based training isn't always that different.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Assuming you actually do it @8 RPE. I assume I'm not the only one who has thought a weight one day should be an 8, but it was really an 8.5 or 9, but you second-guess yourself because of ego and call it an 8. Have mostly been doing some type of RPE-programming since January and the above scenario still happens frequently, the desire to go up in weight can interfere with the sober analysis.
    The problem though isn't going over on a single session in a set because you might have thought you'd be stronger. The problem is that a lot of folks will bang their head against a wall for session after session at high intensities and wonder why they aren't progressing. That is really what RPE is good for. Everything I've read suggests that you should still plan out your workouts and have a target load for your big sets, and that should include adding weight for most intermediates. RPE just gives you a way to evaluate how you are building up to that target set, and know what to do if it's out of reach on any given day, or to prevent you from just killing yourself each time you get under a bar.

I actually don't think something like 5@6,7,8*4 is that different from a 5x5 in TM (though this is of course a squat workout from a high stress week, did it yesterday and feel wiped), the only difference is that you might backoff 5% on the last 1-2 sets of the RPE-workout, so you avoid 1-2 9-10RPE sets, but hitting a 9 is still common in the first scheme, cause that's how you know you need to back down. Meaning RPE-based training isn't always that different.
    I think it'a very different because in TM those sets across are brutal as the RPE absolutely goes up on each set. You can program TM with RPE too. RPE isn't a program, it's a way to rate your efforts on a lift. You can then use that rating system for things like fatigue percentages and such, but RPE is the tool itself. How you use it can vary.

Quote Originally Posted by quasamshine View Post
    So what's the point of this anyway? Trying to prove who is the best at exercising?
    What's the point of your existence?

Given the need for 8 minutes rest for complete ATP recovery, much shorter rest intervals will further reduce weights at the 8/9 target rpe for squats/deadlifts/heavy variations.

Is this the best approach for a genuine intermediate ?

Isn't there a danger of strength regression ?

Would there be benefit in maintaining 8 minutes rest intervals ?
    You don't need 8 minutes for complete ATP recovery. Besides, you don't need to be completely recovered to do your next set. And as others have mentioned, it depends on the intensity of your sets. Eventually, you're going to need 5-10 working sets of an exercise and what are you going to do then? If you wait 8 minutes between sets, you'll be in the gym forever.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    If you wait 8 minutes between sets, you'll be in the gym forever.

starting strength coach development program
    The statement "you need 8 minutes for complete ATP recovery" sounds weird to me, wouldn't this vary from person to person? Isn't this the exact type of shit that HIIT training is supposed help? Reducing rest requirements by forcing the body to adapt to incomplete recovery?

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast