starting strength gym
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    This is exactly my experience: I can't reach peak power output with only 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Exactly. It takes 3-4 strokes to hit that...
    *This is not EnP...this is not EnP...

I read The Bridge the other day. I'm planning a different setup but with the same ideas. I had a really bad training block over the last few months. Like, really bad. Everything went to shit and I'm way below past performance. I think a significant part of that was due to trying to push too much volume in the grindy range. Started getting nagging pain in different parts and went from an angry 345x8 to a crushing 315x5. I'm a little guy, so I probably need the higher frequency, but with significantly reduced intensity. There were other factors that just compounded the fact that I was being stupid, but this whole transition to intermediate thing is a real bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    *This is not EnP...this is not EnP...

I read The Bridge the other day. I'm planning a different setup but with the same ideas. I had a really bad training block over the last few months. Like, really bad. Everything went to shit and I'm way below past performance. I think a significant part of that was due to trying to push too much volume in the grindy range. Started getting nagging pain in different parts and went from an angry 345x8 to a crushing 315x5. I'm a little guy, so I probably need the higher frequency, but with significantly reduced intensity. There were other factors that just compounded the fact that I was being stupid, but this whole transition to intermediate thing is a real bitch.
    Brah. You're not an intermediate. Get back to lifetime e1rms & do 8-12 week blocks.

Brah. You're not an intermediate. Get back to lifetime e1rms & do 8-12 week blocks.
    Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?
    "You are not an intermediate"

Novice LP lasts - what - 6 months at most for most non-18 year old folks?

"Intermediate" (or the ability to get appreciably stronger in a given movement within 96 hours) lasts - what - 6 to 8 months (maybe more if you're young or juicing).

Based on what I know of your height, weight & lifetime e1rms, I seriously doubt you can still get stronger every 96 hours.

"Get back to lifetime e1rms"

Take a break. Maybe do cardio focus for a few weeks, then redo a super-compressed LP, then a basic HLM, & get close to lifetime e1rms.

"Do 8-12 week blocks"

Pick your favorite flavor of periodization and set up an 8-12 (or maybe just 6) week block. If you don't want to fuss too much, juggernaut has some okay off the shelf templates. If you're clueless about periodization the website www.8weeksout.con offers a pretty good intro (the guy who runs it follows Bondarchuk's programming guidelines...I like Bondarchuk).

###
    Aasgard is great, but 98%* of the programming content is appropriate for the first year or two of lifting

*rounded from 97.64%
    Last edited by John Hanley; 08-10-2017 at 12:38 PM.

1) 8-10 min EMOM 5 reps with the bar for warm-up, then do the prescribed reps with increasing weight up to the prescribed RPE - isn't this too much? I've been doing a whole less warm-up [1-2 sets just the bar, 2-3 pyramiding (5-3-1 or 3-1) sets up to 90% work set weight], so have I been doing it wrong?
    Seems weird.

2) Not clear what is the second press variation when pressing twice a week (you should do press w/ belt, 2ct pause bench and another press). I'm thinking pin press, and maybe that's open for the user to chose.
    I skimmed it... didn't see any discussion about OHP 2x/week, so I'd guess it's up to you to make those modifications.

I just couldnt help but think, Led Zeppelin. For those not familiar, the last 21 seconds explains it.

"You are not an intermediate"

Novice LP lasts - what - 6 months at most for most non-18 year old folks?

"Intermediate" (or the ability to get appreciably stronger in a given movement within 96 hours) lasts - what - 6 to 8 months (maybe more if you're young or juicing).

Based on what I know of your height, weight & lifetime e1rms, I seriously doubt you can still get stronger every 96 hours.

"Get back to lifetime e1rms"

Take a break. Maybe do cardio focus for a few weeks, then redo a super-compressed LP, then a basic HLM, & get close to lifetime e1rms.

"Do 8-12 week blocks"

Pick your favorite flavor of periodization and set up an 8-12 (or maybe just 6) week block. If you don't want to fuss too much, juggernaut has some okay off the shelf templates. If you're clueless about periodization the website www.8weeksout.con offers a pretty good intro (the guy who runs it follows Bondarchuk's programming guidelines...I like Bondarchuk).

###
    Aasgard is great, but 98%* of the programming content is appropriate for the first year or two of lifting

*rounded from 97.64%
    I feel micro-aggressed.

Thanks. Sorry I'm dense. I also think I might be using the term "intermediate" a little more broadly (and perhaps sloppily). When I apply that term to myself, I mean that I think I can still accumulate muscle and haven't really sufficiently maximized the contractile potential of existing CSA to qualify as advanced. I could certainly be wrong, however depressing that might be. I have had a lot of cumulative training time, it just hasn't been very efficient or consistent.

I am planning on using 6-8 week blocks, for sure, but you think a compressed LP is worth it to get back to past performance levels?

I wanna see you bitches run a 400m sprint

20 seconds on airdyne = sprint to hell

20 seconds on rower = meh
    20 sec will sorta work for rower if you take less rest.
    I did 20 sec EMOM x 10 rounds. (20w/40r)
    PRob not true HIIT and therefore "suboptimal".

Fuck you and your 400m sprints.

I love watching my kids's track meets (jr hi/hi sch)when the 400's come up.
    I watch every 400 race with sadistic glee.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-10-2017 at 02:55 PM.

I am planning on using 6-8 week blocks, for sure, but you think a compressed LP is worth it to get back to past performance levels?
    Ah, gotcha.

Regarding compressed LP: depends how far off your old e1rm you are. If much more than 10%, yeah, I'd LP back up.

I like Rip's definitions of novice, int, & advanced. But "advanced" needs like 5 sub-categories. I propose the Japanese beef grading system. Novice, Intermediate, then A1, A2, A3, A4, A5.

You're A1, Brah. I'm A1 too.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 08-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I love watching my kids's track meets (jr hi/hi sch)when the 400's come up.
    I watch every 400 race with sadistic glee.
    I fucking hated the 400. Maybe I'm a pussy, but I barfed about 50% of the time I ran them. Then I became a thrower.

And, yeah, shortening rest simply shifts the bioenergetic systems bias. You're still not optimally training for anaerobic power.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast