starting strength gym
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Euby View Post
    The purchased templates were all contained in a single Excel spreadsheet with multiple tabs for all the templates and other info. There was no PDF, so not sure what you have there. Sounds like it could just be v1.

FYI, I'm not sure why there is a Bridge v2. I don't take it that it's a "new and improved" version of the Bridge, but perhaps just a slightly different Bridge one would run as a repeat. Could be wrong there. One thing for sure...the templates are fantastic. Lots of detail, not always immediately intuitive however, with spreadsheets for calculating RPE weights, logging workouts, which feed into an analysis sheet which tracks progress, graphs, etc. Well worth the $ for those who don't want to get a coach.
    Ah OK, I understand. I didn't even know there was a paid continuation version...... That was where the confusion started I think.

Sorry, I should have been more clear sooner. I keep forgetting that lots of folks don't follow Barbell Medicine as closely as they do SS, so they miss things they might do from time to time.

I posted the summary below in my log a couple weeks ago, but I've cleaned it up a little bit and updated it to make it have context for this thread.

My 15 Week Progress Summary of RPE-based training

I ran SSLP from January through April of this year. It made huge progress there like most folks. Then I spent months chasing intermediate progress, and very little came from it, also like most folks. I was working out consistently and hard during my early intermediate stage. Effort and dedication were not to blame. I had little to show for it until I started the Bridge.

I am 45 years old.

Started the Bridge version 1 around two and half months ago. I've been on the Bridge 2.0 (which I purchased through the BBM fall training template package) the last 5 weeks.

Note, "Then" below means 15 weeks ago when I first started the Bridge.

BW gain:
    Then: weekly averaged about 197 lbs, and had been about that weight for a few months.
    Now: average of 205.6 lbs
    Gain of 8.5 lbs of LBM.
    My waist size has not changed during this time.

Squat:
    Then: estimated 1RM of 330 lbs. (It was a struggle to do 295x5)
    Now: estimated 1RM of 401 lbs. (I can easily do 370 for a single, 325 for 4 sets of 5, or 335 for 5 sets of 4. All these are @8 so have a couple in the tank on all of them)
    That's an estimated gain of 71 lbs in 15 weeks on a top single. I can easily 30 more pounds for reps with no struggle at all, versus previously grinding the 295....hard.

Deadlift:
    Then: estimate 360 1RM (310x5x3 was a struggle)
    Now: estimated 412 1RM (did an easy 380x1@8, and 335x5@8)
    Estimated 1RM gain of 52 lbs.

Bench:
    My shoulder was a bit aggravated a couple weeks ago. I deloaded pressing movements about 10% and the pain has virtually cleared up in the last couple weeks, but I'm still taking it easy as I increase the weight. I'll sum up by saying I think I had added a conservative 15 pounds to my 1RM on Bench for the shoulder injury. I know for certain that I was easily handling 10-15 lbs more weight for reps before the injury than before, and at a much lower RPE.

End of Summary.

Call it what you will, but after struggling for months trying to make some intermediate games and spinning my wheels, this progress for me is outstanding.

I posted the summary below in my log a couple weeks ago, but I've cleaned it up a little bit and updated it to make it have context for this thread.

My 15 Week Progress Summary of RPE-based training

I ran SSLP from January through April of this year. It made huge progress there like most folks. Then I spent months chasing intermediate progress, and very little came from it, also like most folks. I was working out consistently and hard during my early intermediate stage. Effort and dedication were not to blame. I had little to show for it until I started the Bridge.

I am 45 years old.

Started the Bridge version 1 around two and half months ago. I've been on the Bridge 2.0 (which I purchased through the BBM fall training template package) the last 5 weeks.

Note, "Then" below means 15 weeks ago when I first started the Bridge.

BW gain:
    Then: weekly averaged about 197 lbs, and had been about that weight for a few months.
    Now: average of 205.6 lbs
    Gain of 8.5 lbs of LBM.
    My waist size has not changed during this time.

Squat:
    Then: estimated 1RM of 330 lbs. (It was a struggle to do 295x5)
    Now: estimated 1RM of 401 lbs. (I can easily do 370 for a single, 325 for 4 sets of 5, or 335 for 5 sets of 4. All these are @8 so have a couple in the tank on all of them)
    That's an estimated gain of 71 lbs in 15 weeks on a top single. I can easily 30 more pounds for reps with no struggle at all, versus previously grinding the 295....hard.

Deadlift:
    Then: estimate 360 1RM (310x5x3 was a struggle)
    Now: estimated 412 1RM (did an easy 380x1@8, and 335x5@8)
    Estimated 1RM gain of 52 lbs.

Bench:
    My shoulder was a bit aggravated a couple weeks ago. I deloaded pressing movements about 10% and the pain has virtually cleared up in the last couple weeks, but I'm still taking it easy as I increase the weight. I'll sum up by saying I think I had added a conservative 15 pounds to my 1RM on Bench for the shoulder injury. I know for certain that I was easily handling 10-15 lbs more weight for reps before the injury than before, and at a much lower RPE.

End of Summary.

Call it what you will, but after struggling for months trying to make some intermediate games and spinning my wheels, this progress for me is outstanding.
    Great progress!

Do you think it is possible that some of those strength gains could have been from dissipation of fatigue that you accumulated during the previous training? In a sense it's kind of like peaking.

Euby - that is excellent intermediate progress and I'm not detracting from it in any way.

Having viewed your training log, when you started the bridge, weren't you detrained following a back injury and a month holiday ?

It's hard to say. I trained in that month. I first deloaded a week (to prepare for lots of hiking/activity), then went on vacation for a week, then had a minor back strain from a non-lifting event immediately after. By the time I started I may have been detrained a bit, but the weights I started with were a bit less than where I finished, and they were relatively easy. The volume after a few weeks was tough but I adjusted to it. I believe if I had been able to go the Bridge directly from SSLP, I would have started with roughly the same weights. Essentially at this point I feel like I learned a lot in between SSLP and the Bridge (mostly what not to do), and very little overall progress was made.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Great progress!

Do you think it is possible that some of those strength gains could have been from dissipation of fatigue that you accumulated during the previous training? In a sense it's kind of like peaking.
    Not at all, because I took deloads and such prior to the bridge, and the weight never went up. I got back the same wall and was mostly stuck again.

The purchased templates were all contained in a single Excel spreadsheet with multiple tabs for all the templates and other info. There was no PDF, so not sure what you have there. Sounds like it could just be v1.

FYI, I'm not sure why there is a Bridge v2. I don't take it that it's a "new and improved" version of the Bridge, but perhaps just a slightly different Bridge one would run as a repeat. Could be wrong there. One thing for sure...the templates are fantastic. Lots of detail, not always immediately intuitive however, with spreadsheets for calculating RPE weights, logging workouts, which feed into an analysis sheet which tracks progress, graphs, etc. Well worth the $ for those who don't want to get a coach.
    I got the email about these templates a few months back, and didn't want them at that time.. Now, I'm interested, and theyre nowhere to be found? Strange. I guess they only offer them at certain times..?

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    I got the email about these templates a few months back, and didn't want them at that time.. Now, I'm interested, and theyre nowhere to be found? Strange. I guess they only offer them at certain times..?
    That's my understanding...once or twice a year.

starting strength coach development program
    11-13-17

Bridge v2 W7D1

BW: 207
    Tonnage: 14,685 lbs

Squat
    360x1@7
    375x1@8.5 PR
    340x4@8.5
    335x4@8
    330x4@8
    325x4@8.5
    Took a little lest rest, and dropped 5lbs each set. Seems to work well.

Comp Bench
    240x1@6
    255x1@7
    230x4x4@7
    Shoulder feeling much better! This was 5% from my best @8 in this rep range. Should be back to where I was in a couple weeks.

Deadlift with 2count pause
    275x3@7
    295x3@8
    305x3@9 PR
    305x3@9
    305x3@9

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast