Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2 sets of 5 lets me reset my hands and shoulders just a little bit tighter,
    warming them up ya know,
    54 yr old

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to say that I see what the program is trying to accomplish and I literally see it as "the bridge" between SSLP and a more advanced program. That is how it's marketed, but not sure why it's also marketed as "Int/Adv." The first week is purely transitional and I'm not sure worth repeating if one is to run the program multiple times or continuously.

I like the variations in this program, but it takes so much experience to figure out RPE's even with the basic lifts... doing it with all of these other lifts is nearly impossible within a single or possibly multiple cycles.

Jordan already has a great Int/Adv program. I'm a sucker for simplicity... I've been using that program for almost 3-months now and loving it. One of my favorite feature is the x1 @8 for each lift once per week. It's a way to practice the skill, assess progress and overcome the desire to max out.

Jordan, any reason to run "The Bridge" over the aforementioned program? They seem pretty similar besides the single and exercise selection (which can be tweaked).

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I like the variations in this program, but it takes so much experience to figure out RPE's even with the basic lifts... doing it with all of these other lifts is nearly impossible within a single or possibly multiple cycles.
    Have you actually tried? It's really not a crazy super secret 3l33t-only unicorn requiring razor accuracy and impeccable precision. There are people who may chronically over or under rate their RPE. Just like there are some people who really should high bar or pull sumo or not bench. Except, if you chronically mis-rate your RPE, you'll learn that you do by doing it, and then you can compensate. Or try something else, and you probably will be a better lifter for the experience. Even if only the most advanced lifters are reliable in their RPE assessment how would they get that way without paying attention and taking notes of how shit felt? How is anyone supposed to get better at understanding the effects of training without reflecting on it?

How you feel is a lie

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    How you feel is a lie
    My feelings for you seem so real.

How you feel is a lie
    Indeed. RPE is for lifters who know who hard is. (hint: most don't!)

Do the Texas method.

Scale back your intensity day so you begin 20 pounds lighter than your last 3x5 and start at 85% of that for your volume day. Now you have a month to get used to the increased volume and you can use the time to figure what % you need.

This tweak will act as bridge between the LP and TM! Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Have you actually tried? It's really not a crazy super secret 3l33t-only unicorn requiring razor accuracy and impeccable precision. There are people who may chronically over or under rate their RPE. Just like there are some people who really should high bar or pull sumo or not bench. Except, if you chronically mis-rate your RPE, you'll learn that you do by doing it, and then you can compensate. Or try something else, and you probably will be a better lifter for the experience. Even if only the most advanced lifters are reliable in their RPE assessment how would they get that way without paying attention and taking notes of how shit felt? How is anyone supposed to get better at understanding the effects of training without reflecting on it?
    Did you read my post? I'm on Jordan's RPE program ... so yes, I'm part of the secret 3l335 inner circle jerk. Know the handshake and everything .

I'm suggesting that this will be tough for the target audience (transitioners from SSLP) - especially given the exercise variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    Indeed. RPE is for lifters who know who hard is. (hint: most don't!)

Do the Texas method.

Scale back your intensity day so you begin 20 pounds lighter than your last 3x5 and start at 85% of that for your volume day. Now you have a month to get used to the increased volume and you can use the time to figure what % you need.

This tweak will act as bridge between the LP and TM! Amazing!
    Rather than mess around with wonky pre-resets and under-shooting an inferior program so that one can extend the time it takes to address the real problem (inadequate sense of important training variables, poor work capacity) by treating the symptoms, one could just select a program like the Bridge to actually build a better foundation for future training adavncement. Or, not; lots of skin, many cats.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Did you read my post? I'm on Jordan's RPE program ... so yes, I'm part of the secret 3l335 inner circle jerk. Know the handshake and everything .

I'm suggesting that this will be tough for the target audience (transitioners from SSLP) - especially given the exercise variation.
    I did read your post, but my response outlines my primary objection regardless. Best of luck in your training.

How you feel is a lie
    My feelings for you seem so real.
    Feelings, nothing more than feelings,
    Trying to forget my feelings of RPE...

starting strength coach development program
    Have you actually tried? It's really not a crazy super secret 3l33t-only unicorn requiring razor accuracy and impeccable precision. There are people who may chronically over or under rate their RPE. Just like there are some people who really should high bar or pull sumo or not bench. Except, if you chronically mis-rate your RPE, you'll learn that you do by doing it, and then you can compensate.
    I don't think RPE even has to be that accurate for it to work well. So long as you don't go @10 when you're not supposed to, you're not blowing your load on hard sets all the time, you rest less, and accumulate more volume. If you undershoot the weight because of RPE, you will probably arrive at a more sweet spot once you increase the weight. If you overshoot, you may have to back-off earlier than intended in later sessions, but shit like this happens anyways.

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast