starting strength gym
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sure, TM isn't the best for upper body, but I'm still adding 10 pounds a month on my bench 5RM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I'd gain more than 40 pounds on my squat 5RM if I did the bridge? That's what I'm asking

I did the first workout of The Bridge today and was humbled. Transitioning from 8 minutes between sets on SS to 4-5 minutes between sets today crushed me. I was out of breath most of the workout and was forced to use what would normally be easyish weights for me. It was also a shock to the system to do more than a handful of deadlift reps. I'm sure conditioning and muscular endurance will catch up and this will payoff in the longrun. Onward and upward i suppose.
    Last edited by MarkMarkMark; 08-21-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Yeah, work capacity is something you have to push toward. I used to have a decent amount as a crossfitter but it came at the expense of strength for me. I'm looking forward to building a strong base with more volume. It should carry over into actual life for me too for things like yard work, water sports, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarkMark View Post
    I did the first workout of The Bridge today and was humbled. Transitioning from 8 minutes between sets on SS to 4-5 minutes between sets today crushed me. I was out of breath most of the workout and was forced to use what would normally be easyish weights for me. It was also a shock to the system to do more than a handful of deadlift reps. I'm sure conditioning and muscular endurance will catch up and this will payoff in the longrun. Onward and upward i suppose.
    Do it gradually. Start at 7 minutes, then 6, then 5, etc. In two weeks you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Do it gradually. Start at 7 minutes, then 6, then 5, etc. In two weeks you'll be fine.
    Are you suggesting a bridge to the bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    Are you suggesting a bridge to the bridge?
    More like crossing the bridge slowly at the start.

Given the need for 8 minutes rest for complete ATP recovery, much shorter rest intervals will further reduce weights at the 8/9 target rpe for squats/deadlifts/heavy variations.

Is this the best approach for a genuine intermediate ?

Isn't there a danger of strength regression ?

Would there be benefit in maintaining 8 minutes rest intervals ?

Jordan has already said to do 4-5 minute rest intervals. It might limit the maximum amount of weight you can use on your top worksets when you do this, but that really doesn't matter when you are doing a program that is designed to provide more volume. The program layout here is obviously based on RTS-style training which Jordan/Austin are fans of. Those programs begin with a very light week, then you accumulate volume for a few weeks (building work capacity), followed by a brief reduction, then a transmutation of that volume into strength demonstration before the cycle ends. Rinse and repeat.

So no, there isn't a danger or strength regression as the point of the routine is to increase strength, but it comes through a base of volume early on. Taking 8 minutes between work sets during the higher volume stages would mean you'd be in the gym forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtrained View Post
    Given the need for 8 minutes rest for complete ATP recovery, much shorter rest intervals will further reduce weights at the 8/9 target rpe for squats/deadlifts/heavy variations.

Is this the best approach for a genuine intermediate ?

Isn't there a danger of strength regression ?

its ironic your handle is "overtrained".

At a point, yes all that intraset rest is useful. Grinding out yer fahives, etc. But as Euby said, you are accumulating quality volume

starting strength coach development program
    You need 8 minutes at the end of the LP because you are doing 9RPE and 10RPE every damned set. That is a much higher depletion level than doing 7RPE and 8RPE sets.

Is this the best approach for a genuine intermediate?
    No. There is no best approach. Only better and worse approaches.

Isn't there a danger of strength regression?
    Dropping to 8RPE, and especially during the low stress week where only one set is even that heavy, is a sort of deload. For someone coming off the SSLP thins will actually cause and increased ability to display strength because fatigue will drop significantly.

You cannot maintain the intensity level that would require this for more than a few workouts as an intermediate. Plus, who the hell has the time?

Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast