starting strength gym
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd like to point out that Jordan is now selling a program containing methods that he vehemently argued against when I was promoting them 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I'd like to point out that Jordan is now selling a program containing methods that he vehemently argued against when I was promoting them 3 years ago.
    What are you talking about?

Doesn't really matter what he did or didn't believe some time ago. What matters is what he recommends now and whether his arguments are logical and convincing.

Unless you want credit for being super duper smart. In that case, congrats man.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdam View Post
    I took it to mean that a set of paused squats @8 has a greater training effect than a set of regular squats @6, even if the weight on the bar is the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    The fatigue is different -- I recover faster than I would from that level of effort using normal technique & heavier weight.
    This allows me to be recovered in time for the subsequent Heavy day.
    My understanding is along the same lines, that the variations produce as similar training effect to using heavy weights but without the fatigue from using heavy weights.

Maybe "fatigue" and the training effect is actually multiple processes going on, so like the subjective intensity of the variations might promote certain training effects, while mitigating the really fatiguing ones from heavy weights that need longer recovery? Just a guess since I have zero idea what is actually going on in my body in specific biological terms. Would be interested to hear from someone who actually understand this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsquats View Post
    Doesn't really matter what he did or didn't believe some time ago. What matters is what he recommends now and whether his arguments are logical and convincing.

Unless you want credit for being super duper smart. In that case, congrats man.
    I *think* he's referring to talking about assistance exercises and me saying I don't think they uniquely get you stronger, which I still don't. They make training more productive for some indirectly and help control fatigue, which is what I said years ago and still believe. I'm still not sure what hamburgerfan is talking about, but we'll see...

If your position hasn't changed then I'll amend my comment to point out the presence of forum members using my arguments to defend your program when 3 years ago the forum members who followed your work would have disagreed with me and my arguments.

please don't ban

If your position hasn't changed then I'll amend my comment to point out the presence of forum members using my arguments to defend your program when 3 years ago the forum members who followed your work would have disagreed with me and my arguments.

please don't ban
    Maybe it was longer than 3 years ago? I know 5 years ago on the forum everyone was all about TM, etc. But 3 years ago (or around that time frame) Jordan did some programming for me. He was using these lighter variants in his programming back then. I think the style of drop sets with fatigue percentages, etc. has changed, but Mike T also changed the way he did RTS over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    Maybe it was longer than 3 years ago? I know 5 years ago on the forum everyone was all about TM, etc. But 3 years ago (or around that time frame) Jordan did some programming for me. He was using these lighter variants in his programming back then. I think the style of drop sets with fatigue percentages, etc. has changed, but Mike T also changed the way he did RTS over time.
    The body of knowledge regarding training is growing and ideas are tested , proved or disproved and improved upon faster than ever before. A young person just starting to lift at this time is very fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I *think* he's referring to talking about assistance exercises and me saying I don't think they uniquely get you stronger, which I still don't. They make training more productive for some indirectly and help control fatigue, which is what I said years ago and still believe. I'm still not sure what hamburgerfan is talking about, but we'll see...
    I can understand this b/c I felt pretty beatup when I was squatting 3x per using an HLM approach. Just fatigue in general. Doing Squats, 1-count Squats and Tempo Squats is pretty darn fatiguing also, but somehow different. Don't know how to describe it 4 weeks in, but it feels different. I'm not passing judgement on the Bridge yet, and probably will never be able to from a results-based perspective simply because it's such a short-lived program. But from an educational perspective I can already say it is an eye-opener in terms of how it forces you to think about your lifting, your fatigue level, and how to judge your effort on each lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Best way I know to put it without invoking too much unscientific whoo like "adrenal fatigue" or "CNS fatigue" is as local vs. systemic fatuige.

Think say, a heavy low bar squat (80%) versus a leg press with as much weight as you want. Which is going to be harder to recover from? The squatting right? Even though we're going to be using more weight and generating waaay more tonnage with the leg press, it's still easier to recover from. Why? Well, to squat, you're using most of the muscle mass in your body to a high degree, generating a high degree of fatigue in everything. Your upper and lower back, your abs, probably even your calves. All in a complex movement that requires balancing and concentration while moving.

The leg press on the other hand, you sit down and push real hard. You tire out your quads, your glutes and probably calves and hams a bit. It's just less to recover from as a whole. Now, we take something like say, pause squats wherein we're using weights that don't challenge the supporting musculature in the same way and we're not generating that kind of whole body fatuige. Is it really that hard on your upper or lower back to hold position with the kind of weights needed for a half decent pause squat session? Probably not. So we're tiring out the quads more so than they usually would be with these kinds of weights by eliminating the stretch reflex, but we're not making especially harder on anything else. We're not getting that whole body systemic fatigue.

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast