starting strength gym

Thread: Injured: run modified program or wait?

Default Injured: run modified program or wait?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey y'all. I was just about to start running the novice program this week and I got thrown on my shoulder. Probable rotator cuff injury or labral tear. I'm gonna get an MRI soon. Point is I can't do anything that involves me holding a weight in that hand. So no barbell movements really. Only thing I can think of that won't cause unilateral imbalances are lower body calisthenics and leg presses. Are leg presses worth doing so my legs can at least be making some progress or should I wait till I can squat/ deadlift?

I don't know the extent of your injury but both of those possibilities often don't take that long to heal and or be rehabbed non surgically. As I recently posted about, I had a severe labrum tear myself from a random non-training event, and was able to resume training reasonably quickly even after a 7-anchor repair, though that was obviously more than just a few weeks.

At the end of the day, if you can't train, you can't train. If you have already built up strength from a bunch of previous training, there's often close-enough approximations you can do that, while not exactly training in and of themselves, do help psychologically fulfill the need or desire to "work hard at the gym" or whatever, and also can prevent backslide in some areas to some degree. But in your case, it sounds like you haven't previously trained at all. So you can have fun and exercise in the meantime, but I don't think it's going to make a meaningful difference one way or the other with regards to what happens once you're healed up and can begin training in earnest. But if you want to do some leg press, and single arm dumbbell stuff, go right ahead.

PS how come you've been a site member here for 3 years and were only now "about to start running the novice program?"
    PPS Is my above PS one of the rare cases where the question mark is supposed to go outside the quotation marks? Seems like it might be but I never have full confidence in that. Dammit.

you're questioning his quote, so I would put the question mark after the end quote.
    It's not like the quote was the question.
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    you're questioning his quote, so I would put the question mark after the end quote.
    It's not like the quote was the question.
    huh?
    That's what I think too, but whenever I want to do that, it just somehow seems wrong. OK, let's not get too derailed with my grammar question silliness.

Thank you for the advice. In regards to your ps, I actually started it once but I didn't have a coach or a smart phone to film myself for form checks. I stopped because I had some injuries accrue that I think we're due to some misinterpretations of the book coupled with poor body awareness from being a sedentary slob all my life. I've since done more research and developed some awareness from martial arts that I think will help my form. I also think I started with too much weight on the first workout and didn't leave myself room to do the LP for long. After this heals I'm gonna do the novice program and use my phone for form checks and do the thing right!