starting strength gym
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

Default The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Two of the most prominent SSCs put some great program out there for free, and there's no discussion about it here (yes, I've wrote "The Bridge" on the search function)? What has happened to the once great Training Forum?

I've read it in its entirety and I found it absolutely great, in all instances. Certain questions were left hanging in my mind though:

1) 8-10 min EMOM 5 reps with the bar for warm-up, then do the prescribed reps with increasing weight up to the prescribed RPE - isn't this too much? I've been doing a whole less warm-up [1-2 sets just the bar, 2-3 pyramiding (5-3-1 or 3-1) sets up to 90% work set weight], so have I been doing it wrong?

2) Not clear what is the second press variation when pressing twice a week (you should do press w/ belt, 2ct pause bench and another press). I'm thinking pin press, and maybe that's open for the user to chose.

3) GPP is after the second training day and then after the second and third. It makes sense from a HLM point of view. What I've found interesting is that there's no restriction to running on the LISS conditioning.

4) 20s rower sprint - It has been discussed in this forum that 20s is usually not enough for a good sprint on a rower. No problem for assault bike or similar, though.

All in all a great program, and a very concise, well written, introductory text to all the programming variables and tools (like RPE). I can't say I'm surprised that Barbell Medicine has put such marvellous content out there.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Just run Texas Method 4 day. I have a secret version I'll sell you
    You get the program for free, but the coaching et al. will cost you extra...

Thanks for posting this. I just read through the pdf. Right now I am in the position where it might be useful, i.e. early goings running a HLM scheme.

I think the list of suggestions for how to increase training stress after the LP for each lift, on page 14, is awesome. I wish I found this direct presentation earlier, rather than having to arrive at similar conclusions via drawing from disparate sources as well as my own trial and error.

I'm not interested in the program myself because of the RPE. Can't wait to wade into all that when I'm more experienced but at this point weekly, arbitrary lb increases are working. Also, in the FAQ it's billed as a one-time 8-week mesocycle for new intermediates. So when I am at the point when I think it's worth learning to gauge RPE I'll look for a program I could run for a longer period of time. Though I'm sure the background in this pdf would be useful reading at that point too, definitely worth a download.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Just run Texas Method 4 day. I have a secret version I'll sell you
    Haven't you heard the news? Ever since Trump, Brexit and Macron, Texas Method stopped working. I would be interested on secret russian programs, though, they seem to be all the rage these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NCuba View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I just read through the pdf. Right now I am in the position where it might be useful, i.e. early goings running a HLM scheme.

I think the list of suggestions for how to increase training stress after the LP for each lift, on page 14, is awesome. I wish I found this direct presentation earlier, rather than having to arrive at similar conclusions via drawing from disparate sources as well as my own trial and error.

I'm not interested in the program myself because of the RPE. Can't wait to wade into all that when I'm more experienced but at this point weekly, arbitrary lb increases are working. Also, in the FAQ it's billed as a one-time 8-week mesocycle for new intermediates. So when I am at the point when I think it's worth learning to gauge RPE I'll look for a program I could run for a longer period of time. Though I'm sure the background in this pdf would be useful reading at that point too, definitely worth a download.
    You can still plan your increases (2.5# a week) and just rate RPE (not using it to prescribe intensity) on your work sets. I believe that's also covered in the pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    4) 20s rower sprint - It has been discussed in this forum that 20s is usually not enough for a good sprint on a rower. No problem for assault bike or similar, though.
    Really?? I've tried pushing these in the past. I don't get scared from high volume squats or deads, but I still have nightmares about doing sprints on the rower. After a couple months I decided that it wasn't worth the mental cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Really?? I've tried pushing these in the past. I don't get scared from high volume squats or deads, but I still have nightmares about doing sprints on the rower. After a couple months I decided that it wasn't worth the mental cost.
    20 seconds? If you worked up to a certain wattage, then started the 20 seconds...maybe.

Why would we even bother? We all know that RPE is essentially useless for essentially everybody. MDs Faigenbaum and Baraki are heretics for using it as well as wrapping their thumbs around when squatting.

Does anybody know how long "The Bridge" has been out? Just didn't know if it's a brand new thing or it's been out 6 months and I missed it..

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    20 seconds? If you worked up to a certain wattage, then started the 20 seconds...maybe.
    Not sure what you mean exactly by working up to a certain wattage first. I don't know anything about conditioning, and when i try to do it I end up hating my life and existence. I tried it for a couple months on the C2 doing 20s sprint/1:40 rest. The best I could do was 1:19/500m times during the sprints. Repeating that several time made me realize that if given the choice between doing C2 sprints regularly or being fat, that being fat was my preferred option. Maybe I'm just a coward.

starting strength coach development program
    I hated :20/1:40 rower sprints too. Think I got down around the same pace... 1:18-1:22/500m. I've never been well conditioned.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast