starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new knee sleeves. What brand?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    More. They reduce my anxiety. Like a blankie. Or pacifier.
    So many imperfect analogies. Why, Juan?

If I said I squatted more weight every time I wore my Barbell Resistance t-shirt, that would be more like a blankie. But knee sleeves change something about the sensations around the knee joint at the bottom of a squat. Not like a belt where there's obviously hoop stress that the belt helps with - this is just a bit of stretchy neoprene.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    So many imperfect analogies. Why, Juan?.
    My primary motivation is to fuck with you.

I don't understand knee sleeves. I know I love/need them, but I don't know why.

You have a Barbell Resistance shirt?

KotJ and I exchange used articles of clothing, unwashed.

Aaron, maybe I may have missed, but do you compete or plan on competing? SBD and STrong Sleeves are approved for USAPL/IPF competition. Between the two, I prefer SBD, pretty much for aesthetic reasons. Most people in competitions I attend use SBD.

If you don't plan on competing, then Evolutionize should be considered for the price. I've never used them, but people I respect at bb.com have said good things.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Aaron, maybe I may have missed, but do you compete or plan on competing? SBD and STrong Sleeves are approved for USAPL/IPF competition. Between the two, I prefer SBD, pretty much for aesthetic reasons. Most people in competitions I attend use SBD.

If you don't plan on competing, then Evolutionize should be considered for the price. I've never used them, but people I respect at bb.com have said good things.
    Nope, I never plan to compete. So I went with Evolutionize/Stoic.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post

STrong sleeves are not IPF approved.

My primary motivation is to fuck with you.

I don't understand knee sleeves. I know I love/need them, but I don't know why.

By definition, anything that has elasticity will apply force in a direction opposite of the force making it lose its original shape. FFS that's basic mechanics, Hooke's law and all that shit. So yeah, any elastic material will make your knees need less force to open under load, hence making you lift more. It's not hard to understand as a belt helping you lift more, which is an indirect effect. Maybe this website is on the level of complexity you need to understand the phenomenon.

Really, it's not Rippetoean physics here. The tighter and thicker the sleeve (given that polychloroprene is polychloroprene), the harder it will contract to open your knee back. The same goes with knee wraps, the stiffer, longer and tighter they get, the more you get out of them.

But you need to make imperfect analogies... Are you a millennial trapped inside an almost old man's body? Will you grab your blankie and cry in the corner now?

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    STrong sleeves are not IPF approved.
    Correct, but many local and state meets allow them, just contact the meet director and they will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    By definition, anything that has elasticity will apply force in a direction opposite of the force making it lose its original shape. FFS that's basic mechanics, Hooke's law and all that shit. So yeah, any elastic material will make your knees need less force to open under load, hence making you lift more. It's not hard to understand as a belt helping you lift more, which is an indirect effect.
    Cockbag, have you read this thread? And do you even lift?

I'm suggesting (and I'm guessing this is obvious to Manveer) that sleeves reduce "perceived exertion" far beyond the sleeves' mechanical contributions.

I have SBD flexible ones now... didn't needI squat more with knee sleeves. That's reason enough. IDGAF why.
    From a purely mechanical perspective, what's the most 7mm of neoprene could add?

You use a fucking blankie.

Which is fine.
    Of course, even the tightest knee sleeves probably don't give you more than 10 lbs if you're talking about purely mechanical assistance.
    Come on Mungrelli. I get it. You're an engineer and your mom is proud. Your mom.

We're not confused about sleeve elasticity and it's obvious contributions to the lift.

We're (or I) am confused about a lifter's subjective perception of a sleeve's contribution (again, which seems to exceed any realistic mechanical contribution).
    Last edited by John Hanley; 08-18-2017 at 08:38 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    I am confused about a lifter's subjective perception of a sleeve's contribution (again, which seems to exceed any realistic mechanical contribution).
    It doesn't.

Come on Hanley, it's not a psychological crutch. Why do some lifters need to do dozens of warm-up sets with just the bar and others do fine without? Warmth and lubrication. Why do some lifters perceive better squats (even less pain for some) with knee sleeves on? Warmth and lubrication. Why do knee sleeves make you lift more? Not warmth and lubrication - elastic rebound, even if small.

You can go back to your safe space and imperfect analogies now.
    Last edited by Murelli; 08-18-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to add slightly insulting remark.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast