starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on How to Progress!!!

Default Advice on How to Progress!!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing Starting Strength for quite awhile (I've made a few threads before this one), however, I just can't seem to squeeze out much linear progression from it, especially now. My starting stats were as follows, and these were what I found challenging:
    Bench: 20kg
    Overhead Press: 15kg
    Deadlift: 40kg
    Squats: 30kg
    Weight: 79kg

Current Stats:
    Bench: 52.5kg
    Overhead Press: 40kg
    Deadlift: 115kg
    Squats: 92.5kg
    Weight: 89.6kg

Now my first question is because I started out so weak for a 6ft2 79 kilo male, has my linear progression ended because there is still a significant jump between my starting weights and the current ones I am on now?

Finally, I'd be grateful if someone could perhaps help me analyze my recent progress which I have monitored so they could give me an idea on whether I need to be eating more to gain weight and thus muscle. I'm not too sure why my weight fluctuates so significantly, perhaps water weight? Right now I'm on 4500kcal a day. I don't mind upping it to see Fat and Strength gains.
    ------------------------------------------
    Thursday 27th July
    Squats (77.5kg) 3x5
    Overhead Press (32.5kg) 3x5
    Deadlift (95kg) 1x5
    Calories = 3500Kcal
    Weight = 88.9kg

Saturday 29th July
    Squats (80kg) 3x5
    Bench Press (45kg) 3x5
    Power Cleans (50kg) 5x5
    Calories = 3750Kcal
    Weight = 88.3kg

Tuesday 1st August
    Squats (82.5kg) 3x5
    Overhead Press (35kg) 3x5
    Deadlift (100kg) 1x5
    Calories = 4000Kcal
    Weight = 87.6kg

Thursday 3rd August
    Squats (85kg) 3x5
    Bench Press (47.5kg) 3x5
    Power Cleans (52.5kg) 5x5
    Weight = 89kg

Saturday 5th August
    Squats (87.5kg) 3x5
    Overhead Press (37.5kg)
    Deadlift (105kg)
    Weight = 88.3kg

Tuesday 8th August
    Squats (90kg) FAILED
    Bench Press (50kg)
    Power Cleans (55kg)
    Weight = 88.5kg
    4500 Calories from today onwards

Thursday 10th August
    Squats (90kg) 3x5
    Overhead Press (40kg) 3x5 FAILED (4,4,4)
    Deadlift (110kg) 1x5
    Weight = 89.2kg

Saturday 12th August
    Squats (92.5kg) 3x5 FAILED (5,2,0)
    Bench Press (52.5kg) 3x5 FAILED (3,3,3)
    Power Cleans (57.5kg) 3x5
    Weight = 89.1kg

Tuesday 15th August
    Squats (92.5kg) 3x5
    Overhead Press (40kg) 3x5
    Deadlift (115kg) 1x5
    Weight = 90.2kg

Thursday 17th August
    Squats (95kg) 3x5 FAILED (3,2,1)
    Bench Press (52.5kg) 3x5 FAILED (4,3,2)
    Power Cleans (57.5kg) 5x5 (FORM)
    Weight = 89.6kg
    Last edited by Khanthebrit; 08-17-2017 at 04:08 PM.

How long are you resting between sets?

I've stalled in the past and found that increasing inter-set rest times has helped massively.

Go see a coach to iron out any technique problems

90 kg at 6'-2" isn't doing you any favors, as is a net zero weight gain over the past three weeks, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    90 kg at 6'-2" isn't doing you any favors, as is a net zero weight gain over the past three weeks, either.
    To be fair I am starting to look a little fat and heavy at this current weight - if I'm going to be gaining strength by eating more I'll up it So your advice would be to up the calories? I'm probably being dumb, but could you explain the 'net zero' weight gain: 3 weeks ago I weighed in at 88.3kg, last Thursday I am 89.6kg. Are you referring to my weight fluctuations?

I would love to see a coach, but I'm from the United Kingdom and unfortunately there are no Starting Strength Coaches in my area.

No, you're not looking fat and heavy at 90kg at 6'2". You've gotta get over that and start gaining weight. What's your priority right now, strength of aesthetics?

Quote Originally Posted by Khanthebrit View Post
    To be fair I am starting to look a little fat and heavy at this current weight - if I'm going to be gaining strength by eating more I'll up it So your advice would be to up the calories? I'm probably being dumb, but could you explain the 'net zero' weight gain: 3 weeks ago I weighed in at 88.3kg, last Thursday I am 89.6kg. Are you referring to my weight fluctuations?

I would love to see a coach, but I'm from the United Kingdom and unfortunately there are no Starting Strength Coaches in my area.
    Aim for just under 1kg a week of weight gain until you're up in the 100kg weight range. Stop weighing yourself constantly. I would weigh in every 1-2 weeks *at most*.

There are SSCs in the UK + online coaching is also an option. Post a form check... those squats are light, even for your current bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanthebrit View Post

From 27 July to 17 August you have gone from 88.9 kg to 89.6 kg, or 195.7 lbs to 197.1 lbs for those in the civilized world. That is a change of about 1.6 lbs. That is water weight fluctuation range. Meaning, effectively you haven't gained weight.

I don't think you're actually eating what you say you're eating in terms of caloric load.

As for a coach, Carl Raghavan is the Prince of the UK or so I've heard. He pisses people off with his graceful presses in defiance of all naysayers.

As everyone else said:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Also, form checks are your friend. They are free!

starting strength coach development program
    Your handle implies you're in Britain. Have you reached out to Carl Raghavan for coaching?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast