starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Risk vs Reward... Displays vs Training...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If your form is decent, go for it.

Day 60? Sure, why not? It really depends on your goals for your training, you know? If you're prepping for a meet, then probably not. But if its training for fun and just to get stronger then go for it. Don't over think it too much, that's what will kill you, well that and the weight could too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K
    On the other hand, why not take your LP as far as it can go, then take a session or two off to allow fatigue to dissipate (necessary if you have truly run out your LP) and then test your 1RMs?
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanbrian245
    Day 60 is too soon to be concerned with a 1RM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanbrian245
    Test 1RMs at the end, and use them as a reference for your intermediate programming.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan
    Lifting your one rep max is fucking around?
    Guys, read the entire post before responding...

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    I'm considering performing some heavy singles (<1RM but targeting a 1000 lbs Squat,Bench,Dead total) to mark the occasion.
    To answer your question I also wouldn't recommend it, luckily you have already delayed it to October. Even at this point though, I don't think you really will need to peak for this. Assuming you will run HLM or Texas Method at the time, you can just do those heavy singles before your standard work sets of heavy/intensity day. At the beggining of you intermediate training, it shouldn't have a negative impact but can boost your confidence and adherence to training.

I'm with hamburgerfan. From a training standpoint, sure it might set you back a little, but it won't be a huge deal. You're most likely not at a level yet where even 100% RPE 10 grindy maxes will murder you, and you said these won't be true 1RMs anyway. If it'll motivate you to hit 1000 lbs, or fail and have something to work towards, go for it. "Optimal" training isn't always the most important consideration.

This is of course assuming you've got form down and a safe way to fail in case you mis-judge how much you're capable of.

Thanks for the feedback.

We've shifted the goal posts out to be something to aspire / work towards (5 plate squat before turning 33) as opposed to something I 'know' I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    To answer your question I also wouldn't recommend it, luckily you have already delayed it to October. Even at this point though, I don't think you really will need to peak for this. Assuming you will run HLM or Texas Method at the time, you can just do those heavy singles before your standard work sets of heavy/intensity day. At the beggining of you intermediate training, it shouldn't have a negative impact but can boost your confidence and adherence to training.
    I've got practical programming 3rd ed coming (as well as starting strength 3rd ed to replace the 2nd ed version I have been using)... based on some forum searches / podcasts I think I will try a 4day split first. Of course I will need to read and digest practical programming.

So you'd just do your heavy singles on apriopriate heavy upper (bench) and lower body (squat&dl) days.

You don't have to go complete 1RM y0L0 0R D13 7ry1n' either. Doing meet style where you do 3 heavy singles per lift of escalating weight that you think are all within your capability is a reasonable way to do it.

PR or ER

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    PR or ER
    Really the only two options.

starting strength coach development program
    It's definitely a weird feeling where every time I do my first work set of five squats it's also my single, double, and triple PR.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast