starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Risk vs Reward... Displays vs Training...

Default Risk vs Reward... Displays vs Training...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,

I'm quickly coming upon day 60 of my SSLP and I'm quite happy with my progress.

I'm considering performing some heavy singles (<1RM but targeting a 1000 lbs Squat,Bench,Dead total) to mark the occasion.

I do understand that a 'display' is not part of the program and can impact training.

Any thoughts or advice?

Maybe you'll get hurt, though this is true of every time you set foot in the gym.

Maybe you'll have to rest afterward and lose a few days of productive training time, though if you're truly still a beginner then you'll recover fairly quickly.

You'll probably have fun. Lifting heavy is fun.

You'll almost certainly learn something new about your training.

Do it! If you make or exceed your expectations it can be a huge boost to your training by inspiring you to better yourself onward and upward. But make sure you have spotters for the bench press and squat.

It's not going to kill you.

On the other hand, why not take your LP as far as it can go, then take a session or two off to allow fatigue to dissipate (necessary if you have truly run out your LP) and then test your 1RMs? You'll be stronger then then you are now, and thus lift more and feel more badass. Plus it will give you a good baseline to judge the effectiveness of your subsequent intermediate programming.

I'm somewhat concerned with messing up my lp...

I also like the idea of running the lp pretty pure to help in the data collection of "doing the program"...

I think I'll push this out to the end of October (I can't imagine the linear progression continuing to that point...) take a week or so to actually peak the training a bit and give it a proper go.

Day 60 is too soon to be concerned with a 1RM. You'll have plenty of time for that in a few months. Just focus all of your efforts on running the best novice and advanced novice LP possible. Test 1RMs at the end, and use them as a reference for your intermediate programming.

Not worth it

You will do the test and the stimulus will make you grow, 3 days later you will be stronger that what you tested out at. So already invalid. Not worth disrupting your program. Seriously theres plenty of time to fuck around after the linear progression is over. Just keep on doing the program and enjoying the fastest strength gains you will ever see.

Lifting your one rep max is fucking around?

starting strength coach development program
    Why not? If this will keep you motivated to continue training long term, then go for it.

As long as you know what you need to do to continue to get stronger...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast