starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food supply will be limited...

Default Food supply will be limited...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm going on a work related trip to another country for 6 weeks. We are taking a barbell, plates, and a squat rack and bench with us so I plan on doing the program while I'm there. We will be fed 3 meals a day but from past experience I know the portions won't be that big. I'd say the daily calorie intake will be less than 3000. We probably won't get the opportunity to buy food. I'm also going to be physically exerting myself quite a bit on this job so I'm going to be in a caloric deficit whether I like it or not. I'm already an ectomorph weighing 146 lbs at 5 ft 11. I just recently started the program and my squat is only at 185 and my deadlift 215. I already stalled once and figured I have to eat more but for now I really don't have a choice about what I get fed. My question is this. Is there still a way I can get stronger with the limited food I'll be getting? Like maybe doing less volume or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozeronine View Post
    I'd say the daily calorie intake will be less than 3000.
    Seriously consider packing whey protein and Nido whole milk powder to get calories in a very portable package.

You're taking a barbell, plates, rack, and bench with you. With all this stuff, you somehow can't take whey protein and peanut butter? This doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    You're taking a barbell, plates, rack, and bench with you. With all this stuff, you somehow can't take whey protein and peanut butter? This doesn't make any sense.
    My thoughts exactly!!! Guess they maxed out on all their shipping?

That stuff belongs to my company and is going in a separate conex. We are only authorized to bring a specific list of items.

Don't worry about it. Do what you can, when you can, and even if you have to abandon the program, simply resume it when you return home.

So I wouldn't be able to continue adding weight if I only did say...3 reps instead of 5? Maybe try to become more neurologically efficient since I probably won't be able to add much muscle? Sorry, I'm new to the program I don't know much about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozeronine View Post
    So I wouldn't be able to continue adding weight if I only did say...3 reps instead of 5? Maybe try to become more neurologically efficient since I probably won't be able to add much muscle? Sorry, I'm new to the program I don't know much about this stuff.
    Rigid adherence to a strength program is best accomplished when you have the ability to be consistent with training. You have good questions, but the biggest problem to the program will be consistency. When it isn't possible to be consistent due to priorities, do what you can when you can.

I had a bit of work travel last November, which was extended while I was working on the site (a machinery installation which lasted longer than planned due to some unforeseen events). Many of the days were 12-14 hour days, and nutrition was awful (Wendy's every day for lunch - it was the only place close by, and it had Wi-Fi so we could continue working). At the end of many days, my motivation to go and lift heavy was absolutely zero. I'd trudge out to my car to do some Facetime with my wife and boys, and then go get dinner at a place that happened to be still open. At that time, my number one priority was getting the machinery installed and operational. I had one Sunday off, so I woke up late, and made it to the gym (before going back to the jobsite), after a 2 week gap without training. My strength had dropped, but I knew I could earn it back (and I did).

To answer your specific question - sure, if you can make progress using triples instead of fives, do that. If all you can do is an occasional 3 sets of 10, do that. Six weeks is a relatively short amount of time. Do the job, and then go home and consistently apply the program, stuffing your face at every opportunity.

I refuse to believe it is possible to bring all the above mentioned items for a 6 week trip, but somehow not be able bring some form of food high in calories. I assume the foreign country doesn't have markets either? I would focus my mental energy on finding a way to bring food instead of finding a way to alter the program to be less optimal. Random idea: Buy a box and ship it yourself to the country.

starting strength coach development program
    Can you have someone mail you a whey care package? It can't be that much to fedex..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast