starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obese client

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Agree with those that said that it's probably not the obesity that's causing issues.
    I'm a similar height, and I outweigh your client by 20 kg. I can squat to depth with a low bar position.

I generally have to start warmups with by hands against the collars, but as I get warmed up, I can generally bring them in a bit. I never am able to get them inside of the J-hooks, though. If you're working out of a rack, he won't be able to get a full, firm grip on the bar with his hands out that far, but if you've got shallow J-hooks, it's still workable. If you've got deep J-hooks and try to take that wide of a grip, the bar usually rolls down your back before you can get a grip on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajtar View Post
    I have a new client who weights 120 kg and is about 6ft, he can't squat correctly due to tight shoulders and depth problems. I was doing deadlifts and body weight squats with him this week. I was thinking of trying front squats for now until he gets stronger one more flexible. He can't get the bar for even a high bar squat. I have no safety bar in the gym. Any thoughts?
    I started at the same size. "Depth problems" is either weakness or bad form. After screwing up my elbows trying to get a tighter rack position I started bending my wrists to take the weight off my arms. Work the low bar stretch (Paul Horn video) after the workout. Even today I have to warm up and do some stretching to get into a LBS position.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    At 120kg, I don't think he is so heavy that it would preclude him from doing squats to depth. He may need to get a little weight on the bar to get balanced correctly. Being even heavier than your client, I find that my first set with bar (55#) is not as deep as my second set with 145#. At that point I have enough weight on the bar to sit into the hole correctly.
    Yes, I'm the same way. It takes a good bit of weight to allow me to "bounce" in/out of the hole and hit depth without getting loose. This is with in-person SSC and SSOC coaching...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    I started at the same size. "Depth problems" is either weakness or bad form. After screwing up my elbows trying to get a tighter rack position I started bending my wrists to take the weight off my arms. Work the low bar stretch (Paul Horn video) after the workout. Even today I have to warm up and do some stretching to get into a LBS position.
    Thanks for that, great video by Paul i am going to use that with my client. He can alreadygo into high bar possition after only 3 days with me, we used bands for stretch and the press helped as well. Tanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12