starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obese client

Default Obese client

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a new client who weights 120 kg and is about 6ft, he can't squat correctly due to tight shoulders and depth problems. I was doing deadlifts and body weight squats with him this week. I was thinking of trying front squats for now until he gets stronger one more flexible. He can't get the bar for even a high bar squat. I have no safety bar in the gym. Any thoughts?

No problem with pressing, he can't put bar on his shoulders even with wide grip. I will try bands next time but for now i am going to do front squats and work on his lower body strength.

When I started bb training I was 125 at 5'11", but I never had an issue with positioning so I think it's something other than their obesity.

I did a SS camp and there was 1 guy who really struggled but Tom C kept working with him and pushed him to get into low bar, and to get to depth. By the end of the session he was doing passable squats just from being persistent.

I've trained 1 guy and he also had tight shoulders and couldn't get into low bar, but week on week we kept trying and he eventually could get into a low bar position.

That would be my advice, keep making him get into position, however he can.

I've found when my shoulders are tight that lying EZ curl bar pullovers and/or LTEs are great for getting things moving. Two sets of eight with the empty bar and really concentrating on getting maximum extension really help.

Depth may be more of a confidence issue than a physiological cause. If the client can't make depth the leg press - until they're strong enough to get depth - and goblet squats may help.

When I started a couple of years ago, my shoulders were too inflexible to squat high bar as well. I made some handles out of nylon rope and PVC, similar to what is shown in this thread: https://startingstrength.com/resourc...r-handles.html

They worked and allowed me to squat. I used them for a 2-3 months I think before I was able to switch over to normal high bar squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    When I started a couple of years ago, my shoulders were too inflexible to squat high bar as well. I made some handles out of nylon rope and PVC, similar to what is shown in this thread: https://startingstrength.com/resourc...r-handles.html

They worked and allowed me to squat. I used them for a 2-3 months I think before I was able to switch over to normal high bar squatting.
    I made those too.

Diligent use of the LBBS stretch has provided enough flexiblity that I've abandoned them at this point. I've found that warmups using light pressing, hanging from bar and stretching work better for me than the PVC dislocations. I'll also take 5-10 sets of empty bar to slowly work my grip in tight enough where I can get under the bar (low bar) to start adding weight.

I had (and still have in some instances) a similar issue when it comes to shoulder flexibility. Keep working the shoulder stretching and at least get him doing high bar. The ultimate goal is the low bar position. You could try a thumbs around the bar grip, since the bent wrists will make it easier on the shoulders. Another option would be to grab the bar on the outside of the hooks. I did this when I first started. I wanted to low bar squat, so I went wide with my grip. I put a pair of lock collars on the inside of the bar and then added weight. This gave me a place to grab the bar and squat. Eventually I went to a gym that had a monolift, so I can move the hooks in and grab the bar at the legal limit. You can do the same thing with a competition squat rack.

At 120kg, I don't think he is so heavy that it would preclude him from doing squats to depth. He may need to get a little weight on the bar to get balanced correctly. Being even heavier than your client, I find that my first set with bar (55#) is not as deep as my second set with 145#. At that point I have enough weight on the bar to sit into the hole correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I put a pair of lock collars on the inside of the bar and then added weight. This gave me a place to grab the bar and squat.
    Genius. I might try this (still squatting high bar over here).

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Genius. I might try this (still squatting high bar over here).
    I hope it works for you! After I moved, my new gym also had an 8' squat bar, which allows you grip the bar correctly and be about the same distance that you are out on the collars. I can squat on a 7' bar in competition though, but the hooks have to be in so I can take that max legal grip. Training on a 7' bar all the time does give me tricep tendinitis a little bit. So if I am doing a competition with a 7' bar, somewhere near the end of my training cycle I do switch over, just to practice with it a few times.

starting strength coach development program
    I've had shoulder range-of-motion problems. My progression as it got better was:

* front squats with straps
    * high bar squats with "hooker handles"
    * real high bar squats
    * low bar squats

I'm not particularly fat, probably OP's client's shoulder problems are unrelated to fatness.

I gave myself a nasty case of elbow tendonitis switching back to low-bar too aggressively, and currently have reverted to high bar until that clears up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast