starting strength gym

Thread: How much did your squat progress after first reset?

Default How much did your squat progress after first reset?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been on the program now about 4 months and I've just reset my squat for the first time due to failure.

Having come from a background of being a distance runner I have quit all cardio for the duration of linear progression, but having a job that requires some conditioning and missing some benefits to my mental health my intention has always been to get back into that side of things at some point, but to a lesser extent.

I also have the issue now where I'll soon need to buy a whole new wardrobe.

I'm just wondering if I stick with the linear progression how much more I could gain after the first reset. My lifts now have been brutally hard for some time and I dread squats, I rarely feel completely recovered and I've got to the stage now that given all of the above I'm wondering what I'm making these sacrifices for.

If I could do the program for another month or two and add ten (22lbs) to twenty (44lbs) kilos to my squat then so be it, but would I really be doing it to eek out another 2.5kg (5ish-lbs), 5kg(10ish-lbs), I don't know?

My squat is at 120kg 3x5 (264lbs), not spectacular I know but I feel like I'm approaching my limit. I weigh 74kg 163lbs, up from around 62kg.

So if you can offer some input as to how far you pushed on past your initial reset that would be appreciated.

Your age and height would be relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1w View Post
    I've been on the program now about 4 months and I've just reset my squat for the first time due to failure.

Having come from a background of being a distance runner I have quit all cardio for the duration of linear progression, but having a job that requires some conditioning and missing some benefits to my mental health my intention has always been to get back into that side of things at some point, but to a lesser extent.

I also have the issue now where I'll soon need to buy a whole new wardrobe.

I'm just wondering if I stick with the linear progression how much more I could gain after the first reset. My lifts now have been brutally hard for some time and I dread squats, I rarely feel completely recovered and I've got to the stage now that given all of the above I'm wondering what I'm making these sacrifices for.

If I could do the program for another month or two and add ten (22lbs) to twenty (44lbs) kilos to my squat then so be it, but would I really be doing it to eek out another 2.5kg (5ish-lbs), 5kg(10ish-lbs), I don't know?

My squat is at 120kg 3x5 (264lbs), not spectacular I know but I feel like I'm approaching my limit. I weigh 74kg 163lbs, up from around 62kg.

So if you can offer some input as to how far you pushed on past your initial reset that would be appreciated.
    In 4 months you've gained only 12 pounds? Come on man...don't you think that's why you're not feeling recovered? 165 is still incredibly underweight. What is your height?

Add light day in the middle of the week. 80% of Monday's workout for 2x5

Your feelings lie to you, so they say around here. Haha.

My lifts now have been brutally hard for some time and I dread squats, I rarely feel completely recovered and I've got to the stage now that given all of the above I'm wondering what I'm making these sacrifices for.
    Form check videos? You are under-eating but poor form could be contributing to your problems as well. Anything < 315#x5x3 is considered low for a <50yr old male and an indicator that something may be wrong (low-T, bad recovery, not eating, bad form, etc., etc.).

The tail end of NLP can be tough but most novices are moving the bar quickly when they think something is "brutally hard". It's supposed to be hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    In 4 months you've gained only 12 pounds? Come on man...don't you think that's why you're not feeling recovered? 165 is still incredibly underweight. What is your height?

Add light day in the middle of the week. 80% of Monday's workout for 2x5

Your feelings lie to you, so they say around here. Haha.
    12kg, 26lbs. I'm 5'7, 34.
    Last edited by Dan1w; 09-09-2017 at 01:08 AM.

The standard for males is your linear progression will end "somewhere in the 300s". I say linear progression even including the advanced novice stages where a light middle day might be appropriate. At 5'7", I think most people around here would like to see you around 180 minimum. I'd say that most likely your sleep or eating is not sufficient. 315x5x3 is kind of a benchmark for a linear progression. The overwhelming majority of people can do this. That being said, if you want to reset due to accumulated fatigue, I could see that being a thing. But a reset on the squat should buy you. . .a lot of time to progress. As in you could PR by over 50 pounds in situations if you're willing to address your obvious recovery deficit.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm eating enough as I'm consistantly gaining weight. With sleep however I work shifts, have two young kids and I'm renovating my house so I do the best I can, a lot of sleep is made up with naps which isn't ideal.

My thinking was that if I'm going to end up resetting, adding maybe another 2.5 to 5 kg before having to reset again I may as well move to intermediate programming that allows me more room for conditioning as progress will be slow anyway. If as you say I could potentially add another 50lbs that is a different story.

I'll stick with the LP for now and see how this reset goes. Do you think it's too early for a light squat day?

I live a situation very much like yourself, my two are 5 and 3. I'd suggest adding the light day now, for no other reason than life stress is massive in your situation. It's nice to finish a light day knowing it's helping while also not stressing all day about the weights. In my opinion, once I went that route life became sane somewhat.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the input. I think I'm eating enough as I'm consistantly gaining weight. With sleep however I work shifts, have two young kids and I'm renovating my house so I do the best I can, a lot of sleep is made up with naps which isn't ideal.

My thinking was that if I'm going to end up resetting, adding maybe another 2.5 to 5 kg before having to reset again I may as well move to intermediate programming that allows me more room for conditioning as progress will be slow anyway. If as you say I could potentially add another 50lbs that is a different story.

I'll stick with the LP for now and see how this reset goes. Do you think it's too early for a light squat day?
    Add light day. There is no 'it's too early for it'. Especially with your new information, a light day would help. Keep on gaining weight. You still have quite a bit of training left