starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety bars?

Default Safety bars?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it bad for the bar to hit the safety bars when you squat?
    I hit them here and there, and when I do I think I might be going to deep.

So is it ok, or should I lower the safety bars one hole so I don't hit the bars at all?

Thanks,

Hello Arkansan,

Ideally you would never hit the safety bars, as this can disrupt the squat movement. Worst case is that you could injure yourself by getting off balance. I agree with your suggestion to lower them one hole.

Good day!
    Manveer

I don't think it would be bad for the bar necessarily, unless you're sinking in to the hole REALLY fast. The bigger issue would be with getting off balance or losing tightness in the hole, which would be bad for you, but not the bar. Can you set the pins one step lower?

My sincerest apologies - I failed to address the main question posed by Arkansan! Luckily omaniphil has offered an opinion with which I agree. Occasionally hitting the safeties will not hurt your bar.

Quote Originally Posted by omaniphil View Post
    "The bigger issue would be with getting off balance or losing tightness in the hole, which would be bad for you"
    Thanks,
    This was my main concern. I'm not worried about the bar. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I use to think if I was touching the safety bars it would keep me from going to deep.

I just wanted to express my heart concurrence with the points made by the esteemed gentlemen above!

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    My sincerest apologies - I failed to address the main question posed by Arkansan! Luckily omaniphil has offered an opinion with which I agree. Occasionally hitting the safeties will not hurt your bar.
    (hands? see it happen)

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I just wanted to express my heart concurrence with the points made by the esteemed gentlemen above!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    (hands? see it happen)
    While I do wholly agree with the esteemed gentleman from Montana and Ohio, the gentleman hailing from parts unknown does make a good point. Verily I say unto you, a wide grip could be an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Hello Arkansan,

Ideally you would never hit the safety bars, as this can disrupt the squat movement. Worst case is that you could injure yourself by getting off balance. I agree with your suggestion to lower them one hole.

Good day!
    Manveer
    Thanks,
    I read somewhere about losing tightness. Then it got me thinking about when I squat the bar hitting the safeties how it could cause me to lose tightness.

So here I am looking for advice from more experienced people than myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    (hands? see it happen)
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hahn View Post
    While I do wholly agree with the esteemed gentleman from Montana and Ohio, the gentleman hailing from parts unknown does make a good point. Verily I say unto you, a wide grip could be an issue here.
    How does this happen? Unrack, then move your hands out wider? Unrack with hands wider than the rack? Comp rack with uprights tilted in?

Respectfully, of course, I would suggest that Arkansan would realize this was a bad idea if he had already crushed his hand(s).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast