starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point should you start deadlift warmups with 135lbs?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    cwd and chrisd already covered the main points but in practice, I find that this is usually when work-set is about 225, assuming you're already warmed up from prior squatting and pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Id dispute your claim that you were healthy.
    According to doctors, I was healthier then than now. At 5' 10" my bodyweight of 152 lbs was "ideal". Now I'm "overweight" at 190.

The fact that I feel better, look better, and am more capable now doesn't factor into the conventional definition of "healthy".

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    According to doctors, I was healthier then than now. At 5' 10" my bodyweight of 152 lbs was "ideal". Now I'm "overweight" at 190.

The fact that I feel better, look better, and am more capable now doesn't factor into the conventional definition of "healthy".
    It does to my definition of healthy. At 5-10, 200 pounds and higher body fat than when I was 150 pounds doing "healthy" shit, such as running 25 miles per week and eating low fat I am deff healthier. I felt like shit half the time 5 years ago. In fact, upon waking, my shoulders and elbows always went snap, crackle, pop after sleeping on my sides all night. At 50+ # increased bodyweight, that symptom of unhealthiness seems to have vanished.

My brother runs marathons. 6'1", 160 lbs. He tends to get light-headed when he stands up quickly, his blood pressure is so low.

I used to get light-headed easily too. And my back would "go out" frequently...

Day 1 if you're a healthy male under 55
    Wanna know how I know that you don't train a lot of people?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 1.01.53 PM.jpg

...but true.

I think I was around 185 when I stopped using the 115 as a warmup

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Nope, I don't. But the 3 people I started on LP that were male, over 40 and healthy started at 160, 170 and 170 (on the trap bar for this one) and my 13 year old daughter started out at 85.

Answer honestly, what percentage of HEALTHY males under 55 that you have experience training start deadlifts at sub-135. I'm not interested in the percentage that you actually start under 155 due to playing it safe, but the percentage that are actually incapable of pulling 135 for greater than 5 reps. Even in the SS book, Rip states that rank novices who are healthy and young can start off using a lot of weight.

Answer honestly, what percentage of HEALTHY males under 55 that you have experience training start deadlifts at sub-135.
    N=1, but count 21 year old me in this category. I was coming off years of endurance only training. I got to 135 quickly, but it absolutely would not have moved on the first day.

starting strength coach development program
    Answer honestly, what percentage of HEALTHY males under 55 that you have experience training start deadlifts at sub-135.
    Not a lot, but there are also the people in between, those who can pull it for their first warmup, but shouldn't. E.g. someone who will do their work reps at 180. I've had a couple of those.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast